In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loctite Removel???

my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just got in a Marlin-375 Win and when I took off the scope mount base there is loctite all over the matt finish/bead blast finish. Is there and way to get this stuff off without heat or hurting the finish? Thanks for any help!! Vernon

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try finger nail polish remover.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or just plain 100% acetone (which is what finger nail polish remover primarily consists of... but costs a lot more).
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    handyman,

Be aware that anything that will disolve loctite will also remove/blemish the stock finish. What ever you try, be VERY careful not to get it on the stock.

The best thing to use is what you already have on hand. As already stated, nail polish remover or acetone are good choices. If you don't have either but do have carburator cleaner, that should work also.

Jim
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    McMaster-Carr sells a product for that. It may even be a Locktite product. I just happened to notice it today when I was buying some Locktite for work. I didn't pay much attention but you can view their catalog on-line.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Locktite on a matte finish is a MAJOR PAIN you know where. It will take dozens of applications. DO NOT try to scrape with anything metal. My last attempt, I saturated several clean cleaning patches with acetone, laid them over the area, and immediately covered the patches with aluminum foil to hold the acetone in place. Let it cook for several minutes, then carefully scrape with something plastic. Repeat until your really tired of fiddling with it.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    Loctite makes Loctite CleanUp Solvent.
    For Quick Set 404 Adhesive and SuperBonder Instant Adhesives.

If you have a problem getting something apart that's sealed with Loctite, you apply this solvent liberally to the bond line. Solvent will penetrate between parts and dissolve the bond. Soak parts if possible.

Seems like this stuff should solve your problem.
    It comes in a 3 fl. oz. bottle. This may be what cbxjeff saw on the shelf.

Added note: I don't imagine this is the only ingredient, but it contains N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone.
    Normal caution warnings,- don't get in your eyes, wash your hands, don't drop it into wife's tea cup, etc.

I used some of it today on some old set up red 290 or 262 and it worked perfectly.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    MEK-Methal Ethyl Ketone-You can get it at
    a REAL paint store-Like Sherwin Williams.
    [;)]
  • Options
    blacarrowblacarrow Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take GREAT CARE when using these solvents. They can cause SEVERE damage. Please take this advise from someone who has learned the hard way.

Make sure you use in a WELL VENTILATED AREA!!!!
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With any of the solvents listed, be careful, but Acetone is the best, and should not touch your blueing or finnish. DO NOT use ANYTHING PLASTIC to try to scrape it off in conjunction with these solvents as previously suggested by the unknowing. You will just be adding an extra layer of plastic to the mess. My method would consist of light torching with a Burns-O-Matic Propane torch, untill the material beads up(turns to liquid state), then wick it off with extra fine steel wool. While the metal is still warm/hot, wipe the left over stuff off with an old COTTON t-shirt.

Best
  • Options
    BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MEK? Are you f'n nuts footlong? The only people who splash around MEK are the people who don't know what it is. MEK is not happy stuff. I've used it as a professional and wow do folks not understand MEK

For the loctite removal, I'd try a nice hairdryer and some q-tips. The hair dryer ain't gonna hurt the gun and the q-tips will suck up the liquid mess