In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trying to identify......FINALLY A COUPLE OF PICS!!

D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
I don't have much info so bear with me. A friend of mine purchased a Colt 1911 with a lot of custom features ie.; beveled mag well, bar-sto barrel, large mag release, skeletonized hammer & trigger and so on and so on. It's stainless steel. On the left side of the slide there is a lion standing on its hind legs with its front legs outstretched and a "W" below and to the right. Does this ring a bell with anyone? The pistol appears to be brand new. Any guesses. All of this is on the left side of the slide.
DSC_2910_2.jpg
DSC_2910.jpg

THERE ARE NO MARKINGS ON THE FRAME. ONLY THE SLIDE.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Armalite is the outfit that uses that pouncing Lion Trade Mark. Armalite has been used as a Trade Name since the 50's, they were the original manufacturer of the M 16, before they sold out to Colt. Since then a number of companies have owned and used that Trade Name. No telling who or when, if it is stainless though, probably fairly recent.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Colt 1911

...What Rufe said...he has all the nice books![:p]

...What else besides the lion on the slide...Colt, Hartford, Series 70-80, pony, anything?
    ...Lots of different hammers/triggers that are not solid.

GCNM had an elongated "curved" slot in a wider trigger forever, then changed to a 3 hole last year...all the "custom" parts you named can be put on by anyone too, luck...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

I dont know of any runs by Colt, or it's Custom Shop that ever used a lion.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    What does it have on the right side of the frame [?] Anything besides of the serial number [?]
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Stamping is of the ancient coat of arms of the citadel at Wroclaw, Poland. Not much to go on,
    but perhaps it's the company logo of the owner whose family coat-of-arms is depicted?

Anybody know of a Polish pistolsmith of renown? Best I could do. Joe
    DSC_2910.jpg
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Different lion, so it's definitely not Armalite. The markings behind the lions tail looks like oriental "chops", hard to say though.

Their are a number of gun forums on the net devoted to custom 1911's. Start posting your photos to them, if none of our folks can come up with a answer.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks somewhat like the Olympic Arms lion.