In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rolling Block ammo

foxygifoxygi Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
Ok to use 7 mm commercial ammo in an 1897 r/block? Re reloading for this rifle, any recommended loads?

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i have an 1901 and shoot regular 7mm out if it
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my personal experience, using modern commercial ammo in one of the late RB's might not be wise. I had one of the late 7 X 57 Nitro 97's. Even though it was in Very Good +, factory original condition. There was way to much spring in the action causing any ammo fired, even with new factory brass reloads, to cause incipient failure marks on the brass. With light reloads made from unfired factory brass you might be good for one shot, but don't push your luck.

These guns were made in the late 19th early 20th Century time frame, before legal liability was a factor in the gun business. Remington used a obsolete design made for low pressure black powder shells, for modern high pressure smokeless ammo.