In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is Remington 700 VTR .223 worthe the money?

walleyes13walleyes13 Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking for a .223 to shoot coyotes, fox and prairie dogs. Is this a well made gun with a good barrel or do I need to look else where? I am very particular in a good shooting gun and want something that will shoot well once paired with a good scope and ammo. I like the Remington action better than Savage but would love a Winchester with their action but they dont make one. Any thoughts...pros and cons......or other choices.

Comments

• Options
    thebambam2001thebambam2001 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a VTR in 22-250 with Burris Fullfield 4x14. It will do it's part if I do mine.Remmy 700 BDL and 700 Classic are my favorites in .223. 40 grain Nosler Ballistic tips work well.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Not sure what the model is but my buddy has the same gun with the heavy round barrel. He has had his about 2 years now and is very happy with it.

I have thought about a bolt .223 many times but my target AR shoots so good that I would not use the bolt gun.
  • Options
    thebambam2001thebambam2001 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also take a look at a Kimber 84M varmit--fluted SS barrel and great action.There are some on the auction side.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you need to do first, is determine what weight bullet you want to shoot. A 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 twist will shoot the lighter 40-55 grain bullets better, and the 1 in 9 will work for the 60-75 grain better.

That said, I would buy a Tikka T3 over the Remington, and as Nwcid says, I have an AR-15 with a short 16 inch Bull barrel, and 1 in 8 twist that will put the Hornady 75 grain TAP loads into less than a 1/2 at 200 yards.

The most important part is the first part of which bullet weights you want to use, IMHO. Then buy your rifle accordingly. If you want a really good shooter, and don't mind price, look at a Cooper. I have a Model 38 in 17 Fireball that is the most accurate rifle I own on a calm day out to 300 yards.

Best