In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1885 low wall 132xxx ID help

UH1CharlieUH1Charlie Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hi all,
First, I'm new to this forum and need some help with the ID/authenticity of my first Winchester 1885. First of all I understand that Winchester 1885 records on serial numbers above 100K were lost or not recorded. I bought the Winchester to shoot and hang on to it, so no fears nor tears.

Winchester ID markings: after removal of schnabel forearm, receiver markings are stamped lower right front-face the number '48' below that a triangle. Forearm stamped 3 on wood just fore of mainspring.

Barrel measurements .900 at muzzle. 1.058 at receiver OAL 28" to breech block face.

Sequence of stampings 6 o'clock bottom barrel flat '3', the rest of the stampings found under forearm, 'C' behind main spring keyway, VP in oval, triangle proof, ff ? type mark hard to read without mainspring removal, '32-40' then '3' running parallel to bore axis, then S stamped 90 degrees to bore axis.

Bottom Rt side flat: 5'o'clock: 'T' marked on barrel 1.5" from receiver.

Top Left flat 10 o'clock position 1/2" from receiver: 32-40

P centered over W top front receiver oval surround
P/W stamping half visible, obscured by rear scope mount

rear combo sight marked - M.S.A. co-
Gladstone, Mich
pat oct 20, 1908

lower tang Winchester model 1885 SN 132xxx

Optic's: J.UNERTL Opt. co. 10X
Calibrated target type scope 22" in length dia front scope 1.30" marked to 200 yards 10X top of scope/rear screw in lens protectors front and rear.

Thanks for any and all help,
'UH1Charlie'

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    UH1Charlie,

Hello, and welcome to the forums here on Gunbroker.

You will be in the best of hands, just as soon as a member who goes by the name of Bert H., sees your post. He is also a moderator on the experts forum. He is our resident Winchester frontman, and does extensive research at Cody eveery year for a few weeks. He uses the actual factory ledger's from the polishing room. He has written, and co-authored several books, on the 1894's, and his specialty is the 1885...he loves them, and drools over them.

I am sure he is going to ask for several quality pictures, and there is a sticky post that describes how to post them. You will need to use a photo hosting website. So if you can, and have the ability to, we all love pictures. Untill Bert gets here, enjoy the scenery.

Best
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a Winchester single shot .32-40 with a No 3 profile barrel.
    The rear sight is a Marble's, the scope is a Unertl.

Can't help with the other cryptic markings except as standard proof and trade marks. No doubt factory assemblers and inspectors codes. No doubt Bert can help.

(My single shot is marked .32-40, too, but it is a rebore to .38-55.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the welcome. I tried to post pictures, but hadn't figured it out yet. My wife's a photographer so I will post pictures as soon I can.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    A little elevator music while you are waiting for Bert:
    Welcome to the forum first, I believe the 32-40 was the biggest caliber they made in a low wall. I picked this hi wall up a couple years ago, made in 1887. It was originally a 32-40 but the barrel was cut off 2" at the chamber and it was rechambered in 38WCF, it too is a shooter. There is something about the design that is just so simple and utility, but they are a thing of beauty. Everything from the smooth lines of the trigger guard to the ebony inletted into the schnabel forend.

pix55333828.jpg
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Charlie,

You have a very late production high-wall that was manufactured in the year 1919 (during the clean-up of the Sporting Rifle parts).

Every thing that you described about the rifle is correct except the scope mounts and the scope... those were added after the fact.

The original factory warehouse ledgers end at serial number 109,999, and the Polishing Room Serialization Records ends at 115,308 (May 26th, 1914).

If you can, please send some pictures of your rifle to me at Win1885@msn.com ... I may be able to provide some additional information.
    The dimensions of the barrel you listed are perfect for a No. 3 barrel, and all of the markings you found on the barrel are normal.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    I believe the 32-40 was the biggest caliber they made in a low wall.

The 32-40 was a high-wall caliber. The low-wall was commonly chambered for the 32 WCF (a.k.a. 32-30).
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.

The 32-40 was a high-wall caliber. The low-wall was commonly chambered for the 32 WCF (a.k.a. 32-30).
    Well how did this low wall of Charlie's get factory chambered for the 32-40?
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.

Well how did this low wall of Charlie's get factory chambered for the 32-40?

Because Charlie has a high-wall, not a low-wall.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Spider, Bert and all on the forum,
    You are entirely correct I have a 1885 'high wall' in 32-40 not a 'low wall'. I guess I'm not the first 1885 novice to feel like a bit of dolt and I bet won't be the last (nor the first).
    Your humbled servant,
    'Mr Charles'

PS is there a 'Haynes manual' for the 1885? I'd like to remove the forearm flatspring for photo's but I'm not going to touch it until I know how to do it correctly.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by UH1Charlie
    Spider, Bert and all on the forum,
    You are entirely correct I have a 1885 'high wall' in 32-40 not a 'low wall'. I guess I'm not the first 1885 novice to feel like a bit of dolt and I bet won't be the last (nor the first).
    Your humbled servant,
    'Mr Charles'

PS is there a 'Haynes manual' for the 1885? I'd like to remove the forearm flatspring for photo's but I'm not going to touch it until I know how to do it correctly.

Go to this website and scroll down to "Winchester 1885": http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm