In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903 springfeild rifle issues

NicketNicket Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hello, ive recently acquired a 1903 Springfield for 500$. Now im a collector so ive reviewed guns before but im stumped on this one. Out of all my books and sites i use nothing is giving any kind of info.

I never worked with a 1903 before and after looking at several models the one i have worries me, the stock and sites look completely wrong compared the ones ive seen in my books.But the markings on the stock and the age of them makes the rifle seem right. Any kind of information you gentleman can offer would be great.

here is some info i do have on it.

Springfield rifle model 1903, Cal 30-06 , S/R 1018820 Several markings on the gun Bottom of the but 111, side of the but 3 r 12, By the action AAJ stamped 3 times, by the action DJAIC, Under the trigger guard (P) 15 20, End of the muzzle behind the site S A with a squid with a C in it and 9-32. Beyond that there are very odd back sites. Look to be a basic aperture site. Pictures of all the markings

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=2418051020/a=159077606_159077606/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to our forum; you came to the right place.

I can see the source of your confusion. All the markings on the stock (other than the proof P on the grip) are arsenal rebuild markings (AA is Augusta Arsenal) plus inspector markings. However, your rifle has been "sporterized"; i.e., the stock has been cut down & parts have been hacked off. You failed to show photos of the receiver & its markings, or the barrel markings, so I have no idea of exactly what you have.

Sporterized 1903's are generally only suitable for hunting, selling in the $200-300 range, at best. They have no collector value.

Most collectors make mistakes when they start; this is yours. You can't always find the information you need on the Internet; Bruce Canfield has written a couple of excellent books on the '03. And, members of the National Rifle Assoc. get a subscription to the American Rifleman, which has had several great articles on this rifle.

If you have questions on other guns, please read the sticky on "Posting Photographs" near the top the first forum page.

Neal
  • Options
    ShootingAgainShootingAgain Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SA on the barrel is Springfield Armory, of course; the design is a "flaming bomb", and the 9-32 would be month and year of barrel manufacture if I understand right.

There is at least one site out there has info. on what serial number ranges go with what years of manufacture. That might tell you if your barrel and receiver are possibly/probably the original pairing. I posted it once for somebody and it got dropped "colder'n a mackerel" as Jimmy Stewart would say. Something about competing websites, or some such.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nicket,

Welcome to the Gunbroker forums!

Neal's assessment sounds like it's on the money. However, closer examination by the members requires more and better photographs of the rifle in question. There is a 'Sticky' at the top of this forum titled 'Posting Photographs' with information to help you post pictures in your thread.

In addition, here are a couple of books often recommended for the collectors of the M1903:

- A Collector's Guide to the '03 Springfield [Paperback]
    Bruce Canfield (Author)

- The Model 1903 Springfield Rifle and its Variations. 3rd Revised Edition [Paperback]
    Joe Poyer (Author)

Good Luck with your search!

Best.

ShootingAgain,

Please read the Posting Guidelines found in the link located under the Gunbroker logo on every page of the forums.

Rather than complaining, I suggest using this as an opportunity to send the link the poster by e-mail as I have suggested to many folks previously in this same situation. This avoids the deletion and solves the question for the poster.

Best.