In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Full-Auto Ruger 10/22

whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
Heard a local gunshop has one of these for sale. Is it technically possible to make a 10/22 into an automatic, and if so, it is probable.
Supposedly asking $2500. I'm skeptical.

Clouder..

Comments

• Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any semi-auto can be turned into a FA. As a matter of fact, given enough time and money, any repeating firearm can be made FA, including a bolt action.
  • Options
    EducatorEducator Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That has been done many times and they are readily available at most nfa retailers. The best I have seen is a suppressed full auto with a 100 rd drum. Hold the trigger and watch the target.

"When in doubt...whip it out!"
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $2500 is a good price!
    Where is it if you are not going to get it.
    TIA
    cpermd
  • Options
    TheguncounterkidTheguncounterkid Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ill 2nd that..if you dont buy it , post a number for the guy
    -Kid

www.acebuyers.com
    GB... Land of the Free, Home of the *POOF*
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Try to find out the name of the person who performed the conversion. There were some pretty bad hack jobs registered just before the ban went into effect in 1986. If by some chance this is one of the John Norell conversions you best jump on it QUICK! $2500 is a very good price for nearly any full auto except a MAC, so the seller must be in some sort of financial trouble.

If it is a Norell rifle it is well under market value and I'm sure you could turn it easily for a profit. REMEMBER, Ruger won't touch one of these conversions so you are on your own for parts and technical support. This is why it is important to be sure the conversion was done correctly as .22 rim fires are rather difficult to convert to full auto and stay reliable.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told the weapon was supressed but not what kind of magazine it employed. $2500 was the price mentioned.

Ski's HOuse of Guns in Idaho Falls has (or had, for all I know) it.

Mind you, all this is secondhand knowledge, I've not been to Ski's to look at the gun, not my cup of tea.

Appreciate the response.

Clouder..
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a company in Florida that would convert a 1022 to full auto before the ban. They would convert just about any semi to full. I shot a 1022 with no jams. Can't remember the name of the company.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Question: If it is full auto, and has an integral suppressor, is it subject to a $200 tax, or $400 tax?
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    WOW, an 8 year old thread.

Should have bought it, they are over $8k now. I wish they were legal where I live, I would have one.

Yes if you have a integral suppressor it is still its own item. So you would have $200 for each FA transfer and $200 for each silencer transfer. So in state TX would cost you $400, out of state would cost you $400 if it was on a Form 3 or $800 if on a Form 4.

There are some exceptions to this but they are few and far between. SOME of the original MP5SD's with ported barrels were exempt from this at the time. The reason was the gun is not safe to shoot without the silencer on it.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 Norrell trigger packs.
    One is in a 10/22 w a Butler folder and a Gemtech suppressor.
    The other is in a Vidar.
    They are about the most fun you can have while still wearing your britches.

But it is 102 degrees here and too hot to enjoy shooting.
    I am getting old.

CP