In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Full-Auto W/Suppressor Question

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
If a gun is full auto, and has an integral suppressor, is it subject to a $200 tax, or $400 tax, one tax for the gun and one for the suppressor?

I know there would be two Form 4s and two taxes if the gun and suppressor were separate units, but what if it is all in one and can't be easily separated?

Comments

• Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one MG tax of $200
  • Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    vicg1,please explain a little more i,m new to this. i retired 16 days ago, no more "work computer" to use so i got an internet connection installed on my old p.c. at home. what is wrong exactly
  • Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is wrong with what? I'm lost! More details!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It is going to depend on exactly how the MG is configured. Several years ago the BATFE began to examine the issue of "integral" suppressors more closely and now have the opinion that the single tax covers the MG/suppressor only of the firearm cannot function with the suppressor removed. In the case of a conversion such as the use of a registered sear in an HK-94 to create an MP-5SD (virtually all of which are in fact conversions) you have the problem of the sear being removable and easily used to convert another like-type firearm to a MG (such as an HK-91). When you remove the sear from an MP-5SD conversion you would be left with an unregistered suppressor and that is a big no no.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 tax stamps.

CP
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Factory HK MP5SD=2 device gun...of course they're restricted so there's no "stamps".

Converted/built MP5SD=3 stamp gun, one for the sear, one for the can one for the SBR aspect of the reciever.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DRP-AZ
    Factory HK MP5SD=2 device gun...of course they're restricted so there's no "stamps".

Converted/built MP5SD=3 stamp gun, one for the sear, one for the can one for the SBR aspect of the reciever.

There are SOME original factory HK MP5SD's on the market that are 1 stamp guns. Not ALL MP5SD's are restricted. I just recently learned this, http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54812

Also it would depend on how the "converted" gun was made if it needs 1, 2, or 3 stamps.

Mark gave the best answer so far. Today it would be 2 stamps.