In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stag

Scott GoodmanScott Goodman Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a couple pieces of stag that I plan on making into pistol grips for a 1911 pistol. I have never done this before and it will be completely trial and error. I have a pretty good game plan but I have no idea how to smooth and polish the stag once I cut it. I am open to any suggestions to help me in this endeavor. I don't know if there is only one way or more than one way but I want to know the right way. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have made hundreds... after cut/shape and screw holes drilled...
    sand with various grits (usually down to 320-400) and then use some rouge with a buffing wheel (on a grinder) to polish. If you still see scratches sand some more and buff again.

PS. Don"t forget that the grip screw holes have to "step down". You can get a nice little 1911 grip screw hole bit from Brownells for under $20.
  • Options
    Scott GoodmanScott Goodman Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CLINTF
    I have made hundreds... after cut/shape and screw holes drilled...
    sand with various grits (usually down to 320-400) and then use some rouge with a buffing wheel (on a grinder) to polish. If you still see scratches sand some more and buff again.

PS. Don"t forget that the grip screw holes have to "step down". You can get a nice little 1911 grip screw hole bit from Brownells for under $20.
    Thanks so much for the info. This should help me make my first set a success instead of a disaster. I really appreciate it! Thanks again!