In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem 700 safety is to stiff

N8WillN8Will Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
My Rem 700 Classic safety is way to siff. I have cleaned and lubed about ten times and it will take the hide off your finger when trying to move to the fire position. Its not bad going to safe. just wondering if there are any tricks for a easy fix.

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    N8Will,

Was the trigger adjusted in any way? If it was you may need to adjust it back some.

If not try some kind of spray lube into the trigger housing to loosen up any rust/gunk. cycle many times, then try again.
    By spray lube I mean JB 80, Kroil or any gun cleaning solvent.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sand, I adjusted the trigger because it was factory set at 10 plus. And before I did that cleaned or well soaked in Butchs bore shine and Im still at the same place. The triger is breakind at a clean 3 lbs and feel great. Would it be in my favor to replace the safety mech? Or just keep cleaning and working it?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    N8Will,

If you have had the barreled action out of the stock to make the trigger adjustments you should be able to do this again.

This time control the barrel in a padded vise so you can see the right side of the trigger assembly clearly.

The safety might be rubbing on the inside of the stock with the pressure compromising the ease of application.

Or...

There may be a burr on the safety detent which causes the ball to be hard to move.

Or...

The original ball was lost and was replaced with a slightly larger ball, causing the same difficulty.

Or...

Have a qualified gunsmith look at it if the fix isn't obvious after removing the safety lever for a look.

Best.
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    A++++quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    N8Will,

If you have had the barreled action out of the stock to make the trigger adjustments you should be able to do this again.

This time control the barrel in a padded vise so you can see the right side of the trigger assembly clearly.

The safety might be rubbing on the inside of the stock with the pressure compromising the ease of application.

Or...

There may be a burr on the safety detent which causes the ball to be hard to move.

Or...

The original ball was lost and was replaced with a slightly larger ball, causing the same difficulty.

Or...

Have a qualified gunsmith look at it if the fix isn't obvious after removing the safety lever for a look.

Best.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 700's safety is not its best card. OR the trigger. Keep it lubed and pinch free.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    N8Will,

As nn stated get that barreled action into a padded vise and watch how it works. I will say a lot of times folks adjust the weight down without adjusting the safety bar. That is usually the crux when a manufacturer states a trigger can only be adjusted down so low. It can be adjusted lower, but the safety won't engage. You need to increase the pressure back up or release a little on the safety bar. Those both need to be adjusted at the same time or it will do as you describe and not go back on safe.

I do have to ask though is it not going back on safe in the fired or unfired condition. It should not go back on safe in the fired condition.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It goes into safe fine but when you try to go to fire is when it is stiff. I will try to adjust the safety bar and see if that will fix it. Thanks for all the advice. Nate