In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Info on German Gun Maker "St Blasien"

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
After my grandmother died a few years ago, my dad was helping clean out her attic when he stepped on a loose floorboard and underneath discovered an old percussion-cap muzzle-loading pistol. The pistol, which appears to be a little larger than .50 caliber, has a walnut stock with a brass butt cap, trigger guard, and forend tip; fixed sights; and brass side plates, the right side bearing the stamp "St BLASIEN". From what I've been able to determine from the Internet, St Blasien is/was an abbey in the Waldshut District in Baden-W?rttemburg, Germany. It is situated in the southern Black Forest, 17 km northeast of Waldshut-Tiengen. My grandmother's family came from near Frankfurt, Germany sometime in the late 1800s, so we assume someone brought this pistol with them from the old country. My family has always been comprised of "gun nuts" and firearms where never hidden away, so it's hard to tell why this gun and a shotgun were sequestered under attic floorboards. Guess that just adds to the mystery and intrigue! Can anyone shed any light on this manufacturer's history, what sort of firearms it was known for producing, and/or its reputation for quality? Did the monks produce firearms or did the nearby town go by the same name as the abbey? This one has been difficult to track down, so I'm hoping there's someone out there who is an expert on these old guns who who can provide some info. I know there's not much of a market for these old guns and I'm really not interested in parting with it, I'd just like to know a little more about its history. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments