In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

savage 99

2»

Comments

• Options
    the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's doubtful if it was originally from the factory that way, but here's the man who can tell you.

John T. Callahan,
    Savage Arms Historian
    PO Box 82
    Southampton, MA, 01073

Send John the serial number of your rifle and any other pertinent info and a check for $30 and you'll likely have your response in less than a month. He's VERY prompt and the factory letter is worth it when/if you go to sell the rifle.
    yooper
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Extremely long odds of it being original. To be factory special stocked, probably would also have high grade wood, checkering, etc. What does the buttplate say? Fajen?
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by the yooper
    It's doubtful if it was originally from the factory that way, but here's the man who can tell you.

John T. Callahan,
    Savage Arms Historian
    PO Box 82
    Southampton, MA, 01073

Send John the serial number of your rifle and any other pertinent info and a check for $30 and you'll likely have your response in less than a month. He's VERY prompt and the factory letter is worth it when/if you go to sell the rifle.
    yooper

Good G-2 right there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^BTW, kinda' surprised to see that Callahan is still alive, he was old when I was new.......good for him!
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to remember seeing a Savage advertisement for that stock on a 99, maybe 50 yrs. ago. Don't remember calibers.....
  • Options
    marlinsforevermarlinsforever Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys I will send Callahan pictures and serial number for my 99. Thanks again.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by marlinsforever
    I have a savage 99 22hp with what appears to be a factory mannlicher stock with a Schnabel forearm tip. Has anyone seen another, could it be factory and how rare would it be. I have owned it for about 10 years and have often wondered. Thanks for your input guys.

Gearheaddad seems to know a fair amount about the 99's, give him a shout!