In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1A - marketplace

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
This is for my information only, not in the "wanted" file. I was looking for a good used M1A to round out my collection, and while there are 13 pages of new guns, it seems rare that a good used one comes on the market in local shows or on GB.

Since they seem to be rarely used (I think)in rifle matches any more I am surprised that is not a glut of them on the market. Are they that good that no one sells their gun? Any reasonable explanation why?

As stated, just interested as to why that might be. Since I'm not a big "rifle guy" I thought maybe there's something (yea I know, a lot of things) I just don't understand.

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,471 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I too rarely see a used one for sale, and when I do, they are darn near new price. I have decided that people get them, see what a awesome rifle they are, and won't let them go. I know I wanted one ever since I was about 13-14 years old, back in the mid '70s. I finally got one(new) in 2000. No way am I letting it go.
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No idea, here's the result of searching the firearms category on GB.

m1a
    483 new, 147 used

ak
    629 new, 229 used

ar15
    1986 new, 424 used

ar
    3070 new, 573 used

fal
    20 new, 40 used

remington 700
    1275 new, 733 used

If you just look at the numbers, then it seems that the ratio isn't that different the AKs or ARs
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    12:
    Just for fun I went through the used M1A's, eliminating the Scout and Socom models, M1's, and this is what I found:
    Higher price then new (equal models) = 66
    Modified = 11
    Close (higher) to book price = 5
    "R" (really don't want to sell) = 10
    Lower then book price (for now) = 1 (Fed Ord model)

Then again, the other types that you noted may have the same results. Just seems to be a small sellers market, when it should be a large buyers market.

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unlike AR-type rifles, there hasn't been much market fluctuation; the prices of used M14-type rifles just keeps going up. (The name "M1A" is copyrighted by Springfield Armory Inc.)

I bought an M1A because it was the closest I could get to the M14 I was issued by the Army; I knew we would never get to buy surplus M14 rifles. But, it wasn't in use by the US military to explain the high demand. Once you get to handle & shoot an M14-type, you realize it is one of the best SHTF rifles you can buy; it's a high power, high capacity, low recoil beauty, that easily hits targets out to 300 yds with iron sights, further if scoped.

M1Ab.jpg

I think that the older rifles (>15-20 years old) are the best, as USGI parts started running out in the last 1990's. SA Inc was forced to contract for many parts, & cast parts are often not as durable as forged.

Neal
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I, like Neal, wanted an M1A because I had one in the Army. I think its the best platform for launching 7.62X51 ammo. Its comfortable, smooth and accurate. I bought my first one (with bayonet lug) back in the 80s. Have 4 now including a Socom 16. None are for sale of course.

IMG_0041-1.jpg
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once in your hands you know that it is indeed The Last Steel Warrior. The Rifle can reach out and touch somebody. The Rifle is accurate, feels great on your shoulder, and very good sights. Needs very few upgrades.
    Harris bipod, S.E. Mount, ATN scope, Winchester or Borg warner mags, and of coarse GI leather sling. Surplus Ammo, Store bought, or reload your own.
    I will NEVER sell or lose this Rifle in a boating accident. Although the Rile is on the heavy side I would not ever leave the Rifle behind.
    The Rifles are for sale, you just have to be vigilant about your search and know what you are looking for, at.
    By happenstance, I had shown the wife what Rifle I was hunting for and she had procured one for Fathers Day many years ago.[:p]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,471 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Once you get to handle & shoot an M14-type, you realize it is one of the best SHTF rifles you can buy; it's a high power, high capacity, low recoil beauty, that easily hits targets out to 300 yds with iron sights, further if scoped.

quote:Laredo Lefty Posted

I, like Neal, wanted an M1A because I had one in the Army. I think its the best platform for launching 7.62X51 ammo. Its comfortable, smooth and accurate.

quote:Missouri Mule K30 Posted
    Once in your hands you know that it is indeed The Last Steel Warrior. The Rifle can reach out and touch somebody. The Rifle is accurate, feels great on your shoulder, and very good sights. Needs very few upgrades. That pretty much sums it up.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had three, still have one - a Springfield Armory "Scout" with a few modifications and ARMS scope mount, "thin" GI stock. If you buy a SA M1A, but a few PB or GI extractors and switch out. On all 3 of mine the factory version was lousy from the start.
  • Options
    Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1988 pre-ban that I've taken to several gun shows,it's in mint condition with scope mounts ,but no one wants to pay the 1500.00 price.New ones are considerably more that that but everyone wants it for 900.00 or so.I don't think I'm too high for what you are getting but they are hard to sell unless you want to lose money. PS the only reason I would sell mine is due to age,mine not the rifle.
  • Options
    49 harley49 harley Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The simple answer to this ? is kind of related to "Why do you ride a Harley"? If you need to ask why, you don't need to own or know. I've got 3, wouldn't part with any. One has never even been fired. One is in an E-2 clone, all of mine are VO mfg. pre 96 mfg. Matter of preference, but read back about GI parts, etc. It's just something you've got to have!! I will also add that when shooting NRA Highpower, I gained 30-40 points immediately when I switched to a GOOD black rifle. Still won't let go of my M1A's even after saying that!!