In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1873 Winchester 357 38 CARBINE Uberti

ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
I'm thinking of buying one of these...anyone have one? Will I be able to shoot .38 cal. wad cutters ?

Comments

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ltcdoty
    I'm thinking of buying one of these...anyone have one? Will I be able to shoot .38 cal. wad cutters ?
    Never owned a Uberti but own a Marlin .357 lever.......I don't think you'll be able to feed a wad-cutter in any lever action, I could be wrong though, just my experience [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    A lot of cowboy shooters use them with 38 round nose. I always shot 38 semi wad cutters in my Marlin. Polished the feed ramp to feed them [^]
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    A lot of cowboy shooters use them with 38 round nose. I always shot 38 semi wad cutters in my Marlin. Polished the feed ramp to feed them [^]
    Agree, I shoot the semi's fine in my Marlin, for some reason I thought/assumed he was speaking of the full wad-cutters.......my bad. [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    If you had only asked about a Marlin, maybe you'd have gotten answers about a Winchester! [;)]
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Wad cutters won't feed in my Rossi M-92.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D]

It's time for somebody to say that wadcutters feed ok in their K38.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I think it's a rational conclusion that if wad cutters won't feed in virtually every other lever action rifle, they likely won't in the 1873 Uberti either.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are we talking hollow base wad cutters seated backwards?
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1873 does not have a cartridge stop. It depends on the OAL of the cartridge being the same as the length of the lifter. A short round like a wadcutter will let the next round out of the magazine start into the lifter, blocking its travel.

I guess a gunsmith could put in a stop like the one made for the .45 Cowboy Special, but it would be a big project. And you would still have the problem of getting the flat ended wadcutter to feed into the chamber.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    why can;t something just work out of the box???[}:)]