In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CIA AR not ejecting.

leoleo Member Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
What causes this? Thanks, Leonard.
ar%20jam_zpsuvgj3kq4.jpg

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guessing broken ejector/spring.

ADDED: I am guessing ejector because it looks like your fired case is not being thrown clear. My thought is it appears as though the bolt is going through cycle and the extractor is pulling the case from the chamber, and is perhaps being "shaken" off the bolt face by recoil, but not being ejected to the side adequately. Couldn't hurt to take the bolt apart completely and give all componentry a good going over. Also, can't help but notice the shell deflector has no brass smear at all. Looks like it hasn't cycled correctly from word one, or your really diligent at cleaning it!
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it always happen, sometimes, with certain ammo? I would look at the extractor also. Is the case mouth smashed out or round?
  • Options
    leoleo Member Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fired 8. Case mouth is smashed.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Case mouth is probably smashed by the bolt trying to close on the spent case that didn't eject not by a malfunctioning ejector.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pull the bolt and examine if ejector pin has spring tension.
    Then examine if extractor claw is chipped or ejector has poor spring tension. See if extractor will hold case in place in bolt face.
    My take is extractor is at fault and doesn't hold fired case in place long enough for the case mouth to clear the ejection port.
    I've seen steel cases ruin AR extractors.
    This problem can also exist with weak loads or worn gas rings.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you checked for full bolt travel? Looks like this may be a new rifle?
  • Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    more than likely, you have the wrong buffer in it, causing bolt bounce. very common problem when people switch uppers or buttstocks and buffer tubes. I would make sure it is the correct buffer first. that is the most common problem I run into on ar15. very few extractor problems. also, make sure your gas key on the bolt assembly is staked tight and not loose, it will cause the same problem.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several grimlins that cause this problem.

The buffer, and spring not matched to the gas system, gas rings on the bolt that are worn, broken, ejector spring, or something hanging up the ejector.

One more thing, not all rifles, or AR's are created equal. Century is known for problematic AK's, when 3rd world countries can build them flawlessly by the tens of thousands. If they can screw up an AK, then they can surely do the same with an AR.

Best
  • Options
    4Huntin4Huntin Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rail looks like a banana
    Is the upper warped?
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 4Huntin
    Your rail looks like a banana
    Is the upper warped?

That's a lens aberration. Short focal lens, close focus distance.

Your extractor appears to be working fine.
    Check ejector spring strength or bolt ring tension.