In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can anyone I.D. this cylinder?

buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to find out what revolver this cylinder is made for. It is a 7-shot .22lr. It has no markings on it. Any help would be very appreciated.
Thank you!
Old Gun Guy
000_4100_zpsa7f726fd.jpg
000_4105_zps08ade912.jpg
000_4108_zps80786179.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello!
    Can anyone I.D. this cylinder. It is marked "455" on the rear face, and the rear chamber diameter is .4795". Is it a 455 Webley, and what revolver would it fit?
    Thank you!
    buttplate
    000_4811_zpsiyohdpcu.jpg
    000_4814_zps6utshx5d.jpg
    000_4816_zps9zh4i1uc.jpg
    000_4817_zpscn7sksd6.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone I.D. this cylinder? It is a 6-shot .22 LR. It has a groove that appears that the cylinder stop rides in it continuously. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you!
    buttplate
    000_5253_zpsv1l9iamn.jpg
    000_5255_zpsboac8h4h.jpg
    000_5257_zpstg5o2sxw.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello!
    I have a cylinder that has a British and a German proof mark on it, plus an inspector's stamp on the face. Can anyone tell me what type of revolver that this cylinder fits?
    Thank You!
    buttplate
    000_5174_zpsnhqtpzvc.jpg
    000_5184_zpsqhtdyipu.jpg
    000_5185_zps9qcv1sdy.jpg
    000_5189_zps99vhtxsc.jpg
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't I.D. the cylinder? The proof mark in the oval, is Belgian not British. As it doesn't appear to have the crown? It probably dates to the 1880's, for a Black Powder cartridge.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Likely a Belgian pinfire. This was well before the industrial revolution, & most inexpensive European revolvers were made by a "cottage" industry. A worker would take home a box of parts, sit at the kitchen table, & assemble them using hand files to get everything to fit together.

Belgian2-1.jpg

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Likely a Belgian pinfire. This was well before the industrial revolution, & most inexpensive European revolvers were made by a "cottage" industry. A worker would take home a box of parts, sit at the kitchen table, & assemble them using hand files to get everything to fit together.

Belgian2-1.jpg

Neal

Pinfire revolvers usually have a machined "notch" at 12:00, at the very rear of the cylinder.

My WAG given the diameter and length dimensions, as shown on the dial caliper. Likely it's for the old BP, 380 revolver cartridge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, but why would there be a German inspection mark of a "U" under a crown? Would this cylinder belong to a German made or Belgian made revolver?
    Thanks!
    buttplate
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buttplate
    Yes, but why would there be a German inspection mark of a "U" under a crown? Would this cylinder belong to a German made or Belgian made revolver?
    Thanks!
    buttplate

I believe that the revolver was made in Belgium. And then proofed, with the "Crown over U". When it was Imported for sale in Germany. As the German proof dates to after 1891. Likely it was proofed for sale in Germany, because of the Belgian BP proof. Wasn't deemed sufficient.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have one almost identical, which is for the old .380 revolver cartridge. My gun is complete though, and seems to borrow from the Nagant, Trantner, and Enfield designs.

Given the cottage industry of making these in Belgium, it's probably just a paperweight now as interchangability of parts was non existant with the 1880s Belgian revolvers, and no real one design could be pointed to.

As a side note, complete CF guns in .380 revolver can be made to work by trimming down .38 special brass and fireforming. I occasionally shoot my belgian gun with a .360 round ball and 10 grains of 3fg with cornmeal filler and some spg lube. Actually does ok out to 15 yards or so. But, as with any gun of this vintage, black powder only and shoot only if it indexes right and is in good shape otherwise.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the information!
    buttplate