In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is this price even close??

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $50 would be a good starting point, $500 is a typo or wishful thinking.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Seeing as it's a big gun shop with almost 1,400 item listed, over priced in my opinion [^]
    But as it's Norma, which is expensive to begin with, and rare, who knows [;)]
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been to their store in Maine. Their in-store prices are standard for a retail store in the region. That $500 price has to be a typo.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I would say 100-150 for the two boxes of 50 each
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Original AM ammunition is not easy to find so $5 per round in good condition boxes may not be too far out of line. When is the last time you saw 2 full boxes? When is the last time you saw any AG ammo? Those are $3000 pistols so you're not going to find 50 cent ammo.

But, why ask us? Contact him and ask him. Of course, if you are just asking out of curiosity with no interest in buying, don't be surprised if you don't get an answer.

JMHO
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    Original AM ammunition is not easy to find so $5 per round in good condition boxes may not be too far out of line. When is the last time you saw 2 full boxes? When is the last time you saw any AG ammo? Those are $3000 pistols so you're not going to find 50 cent ammo.

But, why ask us? Contact him and ask him. Of course, if you are just asking out of curiosity with no interest in buying, don't be surprised if you don't get an answer.

JMHO

I was just curious.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a cartridge collector. More than once, I've paid over $100 for a carton of 20 rounds of ammo that I wanted for my collection. There are others that I would gladly pay more than that - if I could find them.

And, I'm a small-potatoes collector and tight with my hard-earned Social Security dollars.[:)]
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few boxes of older collector ammo also. I just seen these on the home page, and since I don't see them very often I clicked on the auction and had to question the price.[:0]
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .44 AM ammo is not cheap. A box of 20 sells for $36 , IF you can
    find it, and that's not the real McCoy ammo like he has.
    I'll say his is worth about $100 per box of 50.

EDIT ....44Am has been DISCONTINUED !!!
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would walk to Maine if that price of 50 was right...I owned an Auto-mag with original ammo, AMT ammo,,,and that Norma round is not cheap,,,most likely 200 would get about right.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all, factory loaded 44 automag in the original boxes is effectively "collectors only" ammo at this point. Even the empty boxes have some collectors value.

Although I wouldn't pay it, I actually don't think $5/round is totally out of line for that ammo (see year old article excerpt below which cites $3/box as market price). Even when the stuff WAS in production it wasn't easy to find, and never cheap.

As some basis for comparison, specialty factory loaded .460SW ammo can cost $5/round, and thats current production ammo with no collector value. See here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/237490/grizzly-ammunition-460-s-and-w-magnum-320-grain-punch-flat-nose-lead-free-box-of-20

In case link doesn't work, that's $106 for a box of 20 rounds of Grizzly super-premium 320 grain 460 SW mag. Even "normal" 460 or 500 SW mag ammo typically goes for $2-3/round retail.

As further info, someone *right now* is actually BIDDING $4/round for this original ammo in box. Not so "crazy" if you figure the guns themselves go for over $4000 now. If you're a collector, you'd want some original ammo to make the collection complete.

Lastly, just because the seller is ASKING $5/round doesn't mean you have to pay it. My guess is they'd probably take a (somewhat) lower offer, if someone were to make one.

quote:
    http://www.*/2013/06/10/five-handguns-you-cant-afford-to-shoot/

The AMP was chambered for the .44 Auto Mag-a powerful cartridge that only two manufacturers, CDM of Mexico and Norma of Sweden, ever produced and never in great quantities. IF you are lucky, you can sometimes stumble upon old stocks of 1970s vintage AMP ammo for about $3 per round for ammo that is as green as a Boston Celtics' jersey. Recently Cor-Bon/Dakota Ammo started production of this classic heavy-hitter but even small quantities seem to be perennially on backorder.

As it goes then in AMP circles, if you do not reload, you aren't a true owner. Moreover, don't ever do the unpardonable sin of leaving any used .44 Automag brass behind. Picture Gollum from The Lord of the Rings and you come close to how .44 Auto Mag shooters feel about their brass. My precioussssss.