In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1892 Special Order Gun Questions

critter3030critter3030 Member Posts: 29
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hi Guys. A while back I purchased a gun on GunBroker that I have some questions about. Not sure if it helps but the auction # was 479716362. The description was as follows:

"This auction is for one used Winchester Model 1892 rifle. It is caliber 38 WCF (38-40). Serial # 764290, manufactured approximately 1914. It is equipped with a 24" round barrel and was specially ordered with a 2/3 magazine (measures 16") and a shotgun butt with hard rubber butt plate. This is a scarce configuration and much more so in a full length rifle, most of the Winchesters in this configuration are carbines. Madis rarity tables for the 1892 indicate only 1 of 5 guns were calibers other than 44, 1 of 600 guns had special wood, and 1 of 670 guns had special butt plates. No stats given for special magazine lengths so all in all this is rare! Stocks on this one are sound, no splits or cracks, no swivel holes, never sanded or refinished, just normal usage marks. Bore is very good, bright and shiny with minor light wear and very light pitting. Smooth action, half cock safety seems to function properly. Original sights include the flat top rear and Lyman front with white bead. Finish on receiver gone, barrel about 50% and mag about 75%. Initials "GET" stamped in lower tang near trigger, don't know whose they are. My father said this was always an excellent shooter but have it checked out by a competent gunsmith before firing. I am listing a few firearms from my father's estate so keep checking for more firearms."

Having had the gun for some time now I would say that the description of the guns condition was accurate. The gun is a great shooter which is what I was looking for.

I have tried to confirm the sellers analysis of the rarity of the special order features with little luck. The production date makes a Cody letter out of the question. Can anyone tell me how common the 2/3 magazine and rubber shotgun butt plate are. Especially on a 24 inch round barrel gun.

The bore is a 9 of 10 and the gun is a tack driver so I'm very happy with it. I paid $1,050 for it and felt it was a good deal. Any comments/thoughts on the value of the gun would be appreciated as well.

Comments

• Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    my unique model 1892 in 38-40 serial number 777961 made in 1915(madis?), with 24" barrel half oct- half round take down with short magizine tube and tang peep sight. no cracks or splits with traces of factory varnish, steel crecent butt plate and to top it off a ex bore. it came from a long time friend who knows i like older winchester rifle. do shoot your rifle,i shoot all my winchesters from a 1876 to 1895 with cast bullets with medium loads. eastbank.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your gun is worth $1,050.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jeez! Just looking for a little information about a unique old gun. Didn't mean to offend!
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gun was on a 12 day auction {long time frame} , many lookers, 18 bids.
    It is what it is. $1051.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=479716362
  • Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Critter3030,

Check out the Winchester Collector Forum. On there is Michael and goes buy Twobit. He is doing a survey of 92's and he would probable have some information about the scarcity of your configuration. He is on this site too and Goes by Mod1892.

http://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-research-surveys/winchester-model-1892-all-rifle-survey/

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606355

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank guys. Didn't mean to snap. Babun,I appreciate the explanation of your original comment. I have contacted twobit about the gun but did not hear back. He's no doubt a busy guy and doesn't have time to contact everyone who had a question about their gun. I have a couple other 92's that I sent info on for his survey and he was great at providing information on them. I see very few 92's with a 2/3 magazine and I'm curious how many were made. I've spent many hours online looking for information and keep coming up empty.
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Neither special order feature is rare, although the 2/3 magazine is uncommon.

Interesting rifle. Somebody knew exactly what they wanted. I think you paid just about the right price.

Pay no attention to the Madis rarity tables.

For instance, even though the 44WCF is the most common caliber, 44's bring the most money. This rifle does not have special wood.

Seller used those tables to hype it up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    to me all older winchester lever actions that survived over the years are unique, to me a rifle that was used for over a hundred years and taken care of by people who loved their firearms is special. i know there are rifles that are in mint condition to be had, but they don,t talk to me the way a well used-not abused rifle does. my favorite lever action is a 1876 with a 30" special order barrel in 45-60 that i killed a deer with last year. we have a doe season here that for the last three days of the season if you are 65 or over you can use any rifle you wish and i use one of my older winchester lever action rifles in that season. to me you have a very nice rifle you should be proud to own,i know i would and it is well worth what you paid for it. i shoot 8 grs unique with a 180FN cast bullet in my 38-40,s. eastbank.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bought the gun as a shooter so it's perfect for me. I'll be using it for deer hunting here in WI. I've got an 1873 44-40 that needs to score first. Been hunting with an 1894 30wcf made in 1907 for the last few years. Also, just bought a 4-digit 1892 in 32-20 from a friend so I have a fun summer ahead working up some loads. I'm definitely not a collector but I'd love to find a '92 in 44-40 to keep the others in the rack company. Just a guy who appreciates old Winchester lever guns and likes to hunt with them. I try to find out as much as I can about each gun I own as it adds to fun of owning them. So, where does one find these madis rarity tables? Sounds like a good read. It is interesting that rarity is not necessarily an important factor in determining value. I'd take a unique gun over one with a little more blue remaining on the receiver any day but that's just me. Thanks again for the information.
  • Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its called "The Winchester Book" by George Madis. It cover most of the early Winchesters

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    madis,s dates are not always right, BERT HARTMAN,S dates come from the polishing rooms records and are the ones to go by. the same with madis,s rare numbers. not to trash madis, but he didn,t have total access to the winchester records. eastbank.