In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 carbine Manuf?????

bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
So I acquired this carbine. It has been re-blued prolly many years ago. Manuf is not readable on BBL anymore. Any way to tell who made it by Serial # 15XX. Thanx for any info.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really no way to tell without photos. But, if we can see photos (inside & out), we may be able to tell if it is USGI or a commercial reproduction.

Most gun manufacturers start production at SN 1, so that's not really any help in figuring out who made it.

Neal

EDIT: Whatever you do, do not attempt to remove the rear sight. If there are unknown markings underneath the rear sight overhang, just make a "rubbing" with pencil/paper or aluminum foil.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serial number 1500 is an Inland division of General Motors gun, IF it is USGI at all. It might be a post war commercial copy.

The manufacturer of a M1 Carbine is stamped on the receiver, pretty much hidden by the adjustable rear sight added to most all when arsenal refurbished. If you can get a glimpse of a few letters, you can usually decode the maker.

The barrel may or may not have been made the same place; the carbine was one of the more subcontracted guns out there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hawk you zactly right. Just goes to show ya I know nuttin bout these. With my wifes help it says E and M above the rear sight. Dont know if anything in between without removing the rear sight like you said. Thanx and waiting to hear more info.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might take a closer look.. I think you're seeing what's left of IBM..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_carbine#Military_contractors
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bsdoyle
    Hawk you zactly right. Just goes to show ya I know nuttin bout these. With my wifes help it says E and M above the rear sight. Dont know if anything in between without removing the rear sight like you said. Thanx and waiting to hear more info.

Does this appear similar?

ibmserial.jpg
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can hardly see the IBM or other name if it has the adjustable sight. Mostly covers it. I have an IBM. Carbines are fun to shoot.[:D] Could have parts from different mfgs. but the receiver bears the original mfg. So many have been arsenal rebuilt most are "sooners".
    I had 10 at one time. They came from Israel during the big import of the 1980s.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well Im sorry but Im bout 99% sure they are EM. Might be a letter in between . Not at all like yours Rufe. It has a 4 didget Ser No and letters are no wider then them. If the sight drives out easy I would try that to be sure. Any other surestions before I try??? Thanx guys this is really interesting
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where on the bbl is IBM located. I ll look closer. Sposed to be on it somewhere
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks like M and WA on mag release if this helps
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neither the M or WA tells you who the main mfg. is. M means "modified" and WA is that particular parts mfg., as there were many making different pieces.
    Also, some did not make their own barrels so markings sometime won't guarantee to be the receiver mfg.
    There are some on here that know a lot more than I about these.
    To complicate things further, it's rare to find a Carbine that hasn't had parts replaced and any combination is possible as it was impossible to keep them as original. Since there were some 6 million made and most of them have been loaned or given to various countries after WW2 until they could arm themselves, the possible combinations are endless.
    As I stated, I bought a few back in the time Israel released thousands back to the US and they were selling for $150 or so.
    South Korea I think recently wanted to send back a boatload and Odumbo and his minions would not allow it. We might have had another chance for some good prices.