In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Moon clips or 45 rimmed brass?

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a Webley that was shaved to 45 ACP. I've tried moon clips, am thinking of trying the rimmed stuff. Reason being that even with the moon clips there is quite a bit of slop once the cylinder is loaded. Sometimes it pierces primers, sometimes it only dimples them and doesn't go off on the first hit. Spring is good.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The type of primers differs from brand to brand of ammo. Some are harder than others. That may be why you are getting different results. Military ammo tends to have harder primers than commercial ammo, and primers will vary in hardness among commercial brands. Find one that gives you good results and stick with it.
  • Options
    rusty3040rusty3040 Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    look for different moon clips, the quality and thickness varies between mfgs the older ones seem to be better
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Let me know if you want to buy some once fired 45rimmed brass. I will put some on the auction side with BIN price.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Let me know if you want to buy some once fired 45rimmed brass. I will put some on the auction side with BIN price.

I have 100, new, primed if you need them.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never liked Webley's. Seems to me if you have headspace issues with half moon clips you will have exactly the same issues with auto-rim brass. Make thicker half moon clips by installing fitted shims on the cylinder side. Spot welding would be my first choice.

You could soft solder two clips together and thin by rubbing on a sharpening stone. You will likely need to open the extractor grove on the brass, or Dremel tool away enough of the cylinder side one to accept standard brass.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a fair number of 45 ACP revolvers, old & new, and almost always use rimmed. Just easier to use, works with every other revolver chambering out there so why not do the same in 45.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Now that I think of it I might have some 45 rimmed brass in my junk collection. 20 or 30 rounds IIRC correctly. I'll give it a try and see what happens. One nice thing with that, if it is a headspace problem, a rimmed round lends itself to a small washer or piece of tubing slid over the rim to adjust headspace. Will see what happens.