In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22cal AMT Backup Diisassembly/Assembly

seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have acquired an AMT .22cal Backup and I have a question regardig takedown and re assembly. I guess I am lucky in that this pistol functions perfectly on minimags. This is the BU with the manual safety and grip safety NOT the DAO

The instructions that I have downloaded and printed clearly state that the bolt loking pin be driven from left to right to achieve removal removal of the bolt as I understand from watching UTube videos the pin has a slight taper to it.

However reading the assembly instructions the bolt is again driven left to right to achieve assembly. I think this is wrong because if this pin has a slight taper to it should it not go back right to left in order to accomodate the taper?

The Utube videos really do not address the taper. I can see a slight 'dimple' on the end of the pin in the videos and it always seems to be on the left side. Also when I manually insert the retaining pin in the bolt it only wants to go right to left dimple end first.

I think I should be inserting the pin right to left dimple end first when assembling this pistol. Are the instructions wrong?

Comments

• Options
    seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link but it is the one I down loaded.

In disassambly it says drive the pin left to right and in assembly i says to drive the pin left to right.[?]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a dial caliper. Measure both ends of the pin. The end with the smaller diameter is inserted first.

Also measure the I.D. of the holes in the receiver. The end of the pin with the smaller diameter. Goes in the larger diameter hole. I disassembled Backup's years ago. As I recall the holes in the receiver were the same. Only the pin was tapered.

There were so many versions, made by different companies over the years. Hard to give a definitive answer. As I recall one on the ones I owned, was made or at least marked "OMC".

The ones I owned, worked on. Were made of "soft" stainless steel. The quality of materials and workmanship. Left a lot to be desired. If yours works, and is reliable with Mini-Mags. I wouldn't be tempting faith, by taking it apart.