In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester big bore

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
Can anybody tell me if the Birchwood casey super blue will work on the Winchester alloy receiver?

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    It doesn't work on anything. In my opinion, of course.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Mine either ...
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dodge69,

I cannot tell you about the Big Bore rifles, but I can tell you about my circa 1975 Model 94, with its sintered receiver:

It looked like this, when I got it, from a pawnshop:

ReceiverBefore.jpg

After some careful cleaning & progressively finer wet sanding (with automatic transmission fliud, not water), it looks like this:

ReceiverRight.jpg

ReceiverLeft.jpg

UpperTang.jpgReceiverTop.jpg

Link.jpg

I degreased the entire receiver, and tried to keep it warm, while I applied the Super Blue. After a few coats, I boiled the receiver for several minutes, to neutralize the Super Blue. Finally, I liberally coated it with transmission fluid to prevent rust. I did not try to restore the rifle, and the result fits the character of the rest of the rifle: used, but cared-for:

Foreendright.jpgLookingForwardright.jpg

_____
    ++++++++++
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fine Job there BigL/
  • Options
    dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been told if I could find somebody that does stainless bluing it would work on the sintered receiver. I have seen them blasted and one of the products like Duracoat put on them which didn't look bad and they will not rust, gut they still look painted.
    The sales rep for super blue told me the super blue would work if a magnet would stick to the receiver. This is one I should have left alone and sold it for what it was.