In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Weaver KV 60 rifle scope

waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone had any experience using a Weaver KV 60 scope? I found one unused just like new, I figure it should be worth maybe $100?

Comments

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never used one but have seen them.
    Could have the German military heavy post aiming point.[xx(]
    Covers half a deer!!

Heard the early crosshair ones, the center of crosshairs did not stay
    centered as you adjusted windage and elevation. another [xx(]
    Worth is subjective.... if you were restoring a vintage rifle and found that scope in 100% condition...it's worth a lot.

If you plan to hunt with it...not so much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Weaver-KV60-Rifle-Scope-3X-to-5X-Made-in-U-S-A-Reels-Rods-N-Rust-/321774684047?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aeb44078f
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    flea bay less than $80
  • waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. This one is perfect with no marks at all, I've got this old 22 Mauser single shot from the 1930s I thought of putting it on, so recoil is not an issue. I just didn't want to insult the guy by offering to little money.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several of them and like them very much. The pre-64 Model 70 I bought a few years ago came with one on it. It had the post reticule and the top of the post is 4 MOA wide. A great sight for woods hunting--it's easy to pick out. Sight the rifle so the bullets strike 2" or so above the post and no worries about covering up the deer. The reticule does move in the field when you adjust it so it might not be centered. Also, they must be set at either 2 3/4 or 5X; there is no in-between.

When I find one in decent shape, I buy it.
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Note that these scopes are all over 50 years old, and the cement used to put together the front & rear compound lenses is very often deteriorated, clouding the view more or less completely. This is not a matter of cleaning the lens surfaces, but of dissolving the remaining cement and then re-cementing the lens system with modern adhesives, which can cost as much as the value of the scope.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like older rifles and put period correct scopes on them. I tend to buy them at gun shows where I can check them out in person. As mentioned time can cause problems, not to mention that someone else's version of "crystal clear" or a scratch free lens may not match yours. Scopes from the 50's are a bit of a risk, early 60's generally OK. I haven't had any deterioration issues with mid 60's to 70's scopes.

You'll also want to make certain the turrets, caps and other parts of the scope work well.

If you have your hands on the scope and it looks good, $75.00 or so is an OK price, certainly not an insult. May work out, but you do take a bit of a chance.
  • jkbt1jkbt1 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its like new and under $100 ifs a deal! If there are any fogging issues etc. , they can be sent to Iron Sights Inc. in Tulsa for a cleaning , new seals , repurged and nitrogen filled , calibration of the crosshairs checked , even new lenses if needed , for around $75.

I buy them based on metal condition. If the bluing is nice then everything else is an easy fix if there is a problem. They can be disassembled and sent off for a reblue but then it starts getting too pricey. And remember these are blued steel and look so much better on a nice old hunting rifle!