In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Show Find - Remington A303 - Unissued

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
Folks,

Check out the item I acquired today at a local gun show. It's a march production Remington A303 with the packaging from the Arsenal in N.J. in 1961.

It appears to be unfired and unissued, but I am certainly no expert. That's why I seek guidance from those viewing this item.

Please review the images below and provide feedback at your earliest convenience.

Thanks all for the responses. Any idea on what a value? I may list it, but if the opinion/s on value are not too great, I may keep it.

Thank you,

Aaron

[img][/img]IMG_17395.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17383.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17374.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17363.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17356.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17343.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17335.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17326.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17465.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17456.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17447.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17435.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17427.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17415.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17406.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17734.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17722.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17713.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_1770.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_1769.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17681.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_1767.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17661.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17651.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_1764.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17632.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17627.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17326.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_1761.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17534.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17523.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17515.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17492.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17484.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17477.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17102.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17281.JPG

[img][/img]IMG_17304.JPG

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one from DCM, identical to that in 1963. Appeared to have been unissued? It was shortly after I got out of the service. The NJ arsenal was probably Raritan, don't recall if that's where mine came from though.

It cost me all of $17.00. Don't recall if that included shipping fees though?

Hate to speculate what one NIB, would go for nowadays?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Had two Smith-Corona's that look like that. First one I got about '67, second one was about '89. Traded both [xx(][:(!]
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should be a good shooter. I put a new in the cosmolene 3-43 Remington barrel on my Newton rifle. I did turn a lot of the roughness off the outside.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    it is a rebuilt rifle from Ogden Arsenal (the O.G. inside the box is the give away). As Rufe mentioned, these were available in large numbers during the late 50s and 60s, and they still turn up from time to time, but are not common. Nice score.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Myself and the guys I hunted with back then bought 5 of them in the early 60's. The price was $10 plus $4.50 inspection and packing. They were shipped railroad freight collect. I don't recall what the freight charges were. Of course, since we got them to hunt with, all of them were sportized. Now days, an original like yours is quite rare and usually pricey.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Mark points out, it has been rebuilt. So, an accurate description would be "unissued since arsenal rebuild". The original DCM shipping carton adds interest & value.

An "original finish" rifle would look like this:

m1903A3bolt.jpg

Neal

EDIT: Aaron, to answer your question, I would expect your rifle to sell in the $500-600 range. (BTW, great photos!)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kind of ironic that they were so dirt cheap in the 60's. That everybody and his brother took a hacksaw to them. To make inexpensive deer rifles.

Now in original condition, with box and paperwork. Worth really big bucks to a collector. Specially the Remingtons. As I recall mine was a Smith Corona. As are most, I have run across in the many intervening years since.

There are some specialized Springfield 03 collectors forums on line. I would be happy to give you a link to the one I'm familiar with. But the moderator would probably delete it. You could e-mail me or try GOOGLEing, "Springfield Collectors Forums", or something similar.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Box also says 'National Rifle Assn of America. Perhaps this is one of the $10 Membership rifles?

Dad got his Inland M1 Carbine for his NRA membership dues PLUS $5 in the early 60's. He said he was going to sign up my Mum, but who needed 'another' Carbine for 5 bucks when he had a growing family?

We need a 'way back machine' and some gold to take along.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    Box also says 'National Rifle Assn of America. Perhaps this is one of the $10 Membership rifles?

Dad got his Inland M1 Carbine for his NRA membership dues PLUS $5 in the early 60's. He said he was going to sign up my Mum, but who needed 'another' Carbine for 5 bucks when he had a growing family?

We need a 'way back machine' and some gold to take along.

I was in the service overseas at the time. So couldn't take advantage of the offer. But for a very limited time, 1911/1911a1's were going for $20, to NRA members. Would be the same time frame as your dad's carbine.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Kind of ironic that they were so dirt cheap in the 60's. That everybody and his brother took a hacksaw to them. To make inexpensive deer rifles.

Now in original condition, with box and paperwork. Worth really big bucks to a collector. Specially the Remingtons. As I recall mine was a Smith Corona. As are most, I have run across in the many intervening years since.

There are some specialized Springfield 03 collectors forums on line. I would be happy to give you a link to the one I'm familiar with. But the moderator would probably delete it. You could e-mail me or try GOOGLEing, "Springfield Collectors Forums", or something similar.

Rufe, it is like that with several US Military firearms...the 03A3, Garand, M1 Carbine, and the 1911. I can remember a time in the late 1970's, and early 80's, where one could get an 03A3 for under $100.00, and a nice Garand for $200.00, just walking around local gunshows. It was common practice to buy 1911-A1's, and home gunsmith them, etc.

I know where there is an 03A3, a Remington made one, that appears to be all original, no arsenal rebuild. It has a brighter green phosphate finish. Really nice shape. Been trying to get my hands on it, and a Winchester 1894 in 25-35, in like new condition, from the same guy for years.