In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

J B bore cleaner

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
Tried JB bore cleaner on a Colt saa that leads real bad in the forcing cone with only a few shots. Did not do good for me, I had to use a brass cleaning rod, If I had only used the JB cleaner it would have taken at least 10-12 hours constant cleaning. Maybe I order the wrong stuff, jar says J B non-embedding bore cleaner compound. Got it on Amazon. Any comments please.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like JB Bore Paste its the non embedding polishing stuff. For stripping out lead I like Shooter's Choice. A bore brush will work the loose stuff quickly and a really tight patch will get the rest.

When my 29's were new I could pull wires of lead about 9 inches long out of the 10 5/8 tubes. I made my own forcing cone polisher and the jag for my cleaning rod and patches. I did polish the bores and chambers with the bore paste. After a few hundred rounds they quit leading for the most part. I mostly run my own hard cast bullets sized to .431 with 50/50 Alox/beeswax on top of a full load of BlueDot.

Added Big difference in polishing an existing forcing cone (easy) and cutting one correctly. Have you inquired with Colt to see if they will fix it? Can you post a good pic of the forcing cone area?
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How hard was it to make your forcing cone polisher? The forcing cone on my colt saa has bad machining markers, you can feel them.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LEWIS LEAD REMOVER. End of story.

Your bullets are most likely too small or improperly lubed if leading.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I use JB to superclean and polish rifle bores already squeaky clean by traditional methods.

In a stripped and clean bore, a tight JB embedded patch is difficult to push thru, sometimes requiring a few hits with the palm of my hand. After 6 or so passes with JB embedded patches, with traditional cleaning in between, the JB patches push thru much easier.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I though you were going to rent a forcing cone REAMER[?]If you can see machining grooves then The J B I suggested on your earlier post will take a long time You can polish with J.B. but it is for minute scratches not Machined bad quality workmanship. I would order a new barrel or Have a GOOD gunsmith correct the machining on yours
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    If the timing is correct most of the forcing cone does nothing.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the comments. I was cleaning a 1920's Smith Wesson last night and noticed that the groves and lands run all the way to the end of the barrel,( both ends). Does that mean that they had no forcing cone?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Are you sure that rifling grooves are from one end to the other [?]
    I dont want to be rude. BUT YOU need to at least take it to a gunsmith that knows about revolver forcing cone At this point your description of machine marks /grooves /polishing /reaming are so vague& confusing we dont know what the problem is except it Leads the bore and does not shoot good groups.
    edited November -1
    groves and lands all the way to the end of barrel was on the 1920's Smith Wesson revolver I was cleaning. The Colt saa 44 cal. 3rd. generation has the forcing cone that has the rough machining marks in it. Real rough.