In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RCBS RC

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
I'm selling this press over on the auction side and I've had some questions that I can't answer. A customer says the dies are 310 thread , and the press is 7/8. Is there some sort of an adaptor that I should be looking for that goes with it?

[img][/img]18118709924_bd74026ff8.jpg
TIA

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Those dies are for the lyman 310 hand tool, which does use a different size thread. Adaptors for presses are available.

So yes, you should be looking for one.

That said, if it has no bids, I'd change the auction to just the press and list the dies seperately. Whoever gets the press may not want the dies, and guys who want the dies may not need or want the press. You'd probably get a higher $$ figure overall that way.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The bushing (that * nut in the top of the press looks to be the standard one, which is the "regular size". there are adapter bushings that screw into that bushing that have threads for the smaller 310 dies. So the 310 dies could be made to work, but the advantages of their smaller size are lost. 310 dies are used with the Lyman tong tool which is hand held and looks like pliers. I'd suggest the same as previously noted, list the dies separately from the press. Having them together eliminates a lot of customers because they'd want one or the other but not both. What cartridges are the 310 dies for?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those look like 310 dies 5/8-32 threads. The primeing die is the giveaway indicator for the 310 hand tool, 4 or 5 dies in the set usually. The other die sets in that size are for tru-line jr press. Those die sets are 2 or 3 dies usually.

jr sizing dies can be full length and you would need to be superman to use them in the hand tool.

The adapter is about 1 inch long 7/8 x 14 tpi on the outside and 5/8 x 32 threads per inch.

The adapter in the RCBS press is for the really big dies 1 1/4 x 18 12 (sorry) as used in shotgun or 50 cal. Browning machine gun, down to normal 7/8 x 14 dies.

added if they are 30-06 dies then the priming die will be stamped 2, its the second die from the right. The whole set of dies with the shell adapter not shown is about $50. Rare calibers can go for several hundreds of bucks.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    The bushing (that * nut in the top of the press looks to be the standard one, which is the "regular size". there are adapter bushings that screw into that bushing that have threads for the smaller 310 dies. So the 310 dies could be made to work, but the advantages of their smaller size are lost. 310 dies are used with the Lyman tong tool which is hand held and looks like pliers. I'd suggest the same as previously noted, list the dies separately from the press. Having them together eliminates a lot of customers because they'd want one or the other but not both. What cartridges are the 310 dies for?

A google search tells me that the only number that I can find on them says that they are for a 30.06. I'm actually not charging for the dies, just throwing them in with the press. I figured that any one who buys it will be much better equiped to sell the dies and perhaps make up some money on them.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Heather57
    I'm selling this press over on the auction side and I've had some questions that I can't answer. A customer says the dies are 310 thread , and the press is 7/8. Is there some sort of an adaptor that I should be looking for that goes with it?

[img][/img]18118709924_bd74026ff8.jpg
    TIA

You might consider that the press is the latest version of the Rockchucker. The "Supreme". It's noticeably different,( improved?), over the ancient one I bought used, 20+ years ago.

It's one of RCBS's top models. Just the press alone sells for well over $100.
    edited November -1
    It's only worth what someone will pay for it. So far it's had no bids. I assume that's because I am ignorant about it, as my initial question shows.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The combination of the RC press, very desirable press, with the 310 tong tool dies, only desirable to a very limited group, is probably clouding the issue. I would do as the others have suggested and either split the auction or just drop the 310 dies altogether. The RC is the standard 7/8-14 thread pattern that is virtually universal in the industry.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey charliemeyer007,
    FYI, that insert in the top of the RCBS
    press is 1-1/4 12 (not 18tpi)
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    A little clarification, I don't know what the diameter & pitch are, but in the photo is an older Rockchucker press with the bushings removed. There is a larger bushing that is for really large cases such as the 50 BMG, which I don't have; but showing on the left is the standard bushing that comes with the press and standard size dies. On the right is the bushing that goes in the standard bushing and the inside thread on it is for dies such as for the 310 tool with a representative die on the right.

The 310 dies work fine in the press but they lose their main attribute- their portability.
    DSC_0206_zpsdmoyn9vn.jpg

DSC_0208_zpsdaxkbq8c.jpg
    I don't have room for another press but would be interested in a set of 310 dies for the 30-06. Would they be listed separately on the auction side?