In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Value of 300 win mag

jpalmerjpalmer Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
So I am selling an older winchester 300 win mag with a ported barrel and old weatherby 6x62 scope. http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=481125667

I am wondering if it's priced too high. I figured the rifle should be worth $500 , ported barrel is worth $200 extra and mounted scope maybe $200.

Just curious what someone else thinks.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you aren't in any hurry? Run it for a couple of cycles at -$100 increments i.e. $800, $700, $600 etc. Sooner or later, you will find a buyer.

Personally I quit obsessing, about what I have in a firearm. When I intend to sell it. I get what I can for it, and move on to the next toy. If I don't break even, or even lose money. So be it. I've learned my lesson the hard way. Some turkeys, no matter what you have in them. Never sell, unless you're willing to take a loss, on them.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to start somewhere. I would have the buy it now more than $100 from the starting.

Porting is a negative for me, it would be worth more without it. Got any idea of the round count? What is the group size off the bench? Very hard to do right but a pic of the bore would be nice.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a Post 63' Winchester Model 70, without the controlled round feed feature...meaning no Mauser claw type extractor. The porting, while adding shootability for some, by the way of lesser felt recoil, detracts more to most, by the way of increased noise, and blast.

The Scope is about a $50.00-100.00 add on, unless there is someone looking expressly for that scope, which they were not really big seller's in their day.

In all, I would say your rifle will sell a little North of $500.00, as a package.

Best
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    You have a great rifle with limited appeal, most hunters will not want the ported barrel and the scope is very dated. Yes, the gun is worth $1000 to someone, but finding that person may become very difficult. As Rufe-Snow stated above it may be best to run in increments of $100 to get to the level where the gun actually sells. The other choice would be to list the rifle with a $0.01 starting price and no reserve, by doing that you will allow the market to decide what the true value of the rifle is.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would also list a set fee for shipping to Alaska and one for the lower-48. Freight charges are one item of contention between buyers and sellers. Buyers are more comfortable KNOWING what the freight charges will be before bidding.
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the risk of raining on your parade, your thinking on value is totally contrary to mine. I don't care what you think, or paid for the porting, or the weatherby scope. You couldn't give me that gun with those items. I can handle the recoil, but hate the muzzle blast. I won't shoot next to a guy shooting with a muzzle brake, Secondly, the scope may have been the cats meow in its time, but compared to todays optics, it has no value, To me that is a $500-600 gun Just my opinion. Good luck to you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the comments, I agree with most. the scope and porting is not worth much to me, but when I got the rifle (guy left town and sold his stuff pretty cheap) I figured someone out there may like it. We will see
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Take the scope off. Only a Weatherby collector cares anything about it.

$500 rifle

$100 scope

Porting does nothing to enhance the value, if anything, it's a detriment.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd sell the scope separately on that other auction site that rhymes with E-Ray. Weatherby collectors will buy it. I agree with others that the gun alone is worth about $500. I too, won't buy one that has a brake unless it's a quick removeable type.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So I have this rifle and a 300 Remington Ultra Mag, that have not sold for a few cycles, and I've dropped the price on each a couple of times. I'm considering starting one of them at a penny for a true auction but am leary of selling at a loss if there are few interested buyers. What are the chances of that backfiring and selling for under $400 or $500? Or should I just keep lowering the price a little each week or two

Im in no hurry at this point.

Thanks
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wrong time of year for this gun. later in the fall.