In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Astra 1000 .32acp Auto Military

MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking for any info. I can find on an Astra semi-auto pistol chambered in .32acp.
I was told it was a model 1000, but the only references I can locate all say the Astra 1000 was a reworked 200 model that was a double-stack, 12 round magazine.
The pistol in question has a single-stack mag with a 10 round capacity.
It looks identical to the pics I can find for the model 1000, but I find no mention of a single-stack model 1000.

It also has the words AUTO MILITARY stamped on the left side of the slide. 2-3" barrel.

The gun does NOT say Astra anywhere, and only has a 3-digit serial number.

I'm having a lot of difficulties trying to match the descriptions/pics I'm able to locate to this pistol.

Can anyone point me in a direction to find out more about Astra pistols?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without good pictures, no one can tell you what you have. The Astra 200 was a pocket .25.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    also check "astra 300", they made this in .32 and 9mm K (.380)
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    You can find info in Antaris's book THE ASTRA PISTOL.
    I have a 1000S made in 1928 that was donated to the Imperial Japanese Naval Air Forces in WWII and marked in Kanji so stating.
    It's a Ruby style pistol with a 12 round single stack .32 magazine.
    It only says ASTRA on the black hard rubber grips.
    If you have the same type of pistol, you can remove the grips and look for a two digit number stamped into the metal. That is the year it was made.
    This is a fairly rare pistol as only a thousand are thought to have been made.

ADDENDUM: It actually shoots quite well. I found the picture below on the web. Neither one is like my 1000S, but if you took the top bottom and put it on the bottom top, you would have the 1000S (S being for short slide). You can see ASTRA on the top grips.
    http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/two-astra-semi-automatic-pistols-a-astra-model-324-c-51241d79e3
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    You can find info in Antaris's book THE ASTRA PISTOL.
    I have a 1000S made in 1928 that was donated to the Imperial Japanese Naval Air Forces in WWII and marked in Kanji so stating.
    It's a Ruby style pistol with a 12 round single stack .32 magazine.
    It only says ASTRA on the black hard rubber grips.
    If you have the same type of pistol, you can remove the grips and look for a two digit number stamped into the metal. That is the year it was made.
    This is a fairly rare pistol as only a thousand are thought to have been made.

ADDENDUM: It actually shoots quite well.

Only numbers under the grip are 91 and I'm sure it was not made in 1991, fairly confident it was not 1891.
    Does not say Astra on the black plastic grips, instead looks like a row of leaf clusters about 1/4 the way down from the top .

Has a hole in the butt of the grip for a lanyard ring, but no ring present.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

ADDENDUM: It actually shoots quite well. I found the picture below on the web. Neither one is like my 1000S, but if you took the top bottom and put it on the bottom top, you would have the 1000S (S being for short slide). You can see ASTRA on the top grips.
    http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/two-astra-semi-automatic-pistols-a-astra-model-324-c-51241d79e3

My example is the short-slide version, but has the straight slide serrations like the long-slide version in the pics.
    It is also a single-stack mag that I can get 10 rounds into, but it's really tight. Might be designed for 7 or 8 round.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Probably just going to have to get the Antaris book.
    Are you sure it's 91 and not 16?

This was a pretty common design in the North of Spain during this time period. Several makers made them so yours may not even be an Astra but a little warehouse company job.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I also have one marked Military Automatic 32 Caliber on the slide.
    serial # on frame and ASTRA the word ASTRA has only the letters "AS" visible with safety on .with safety off you can read the whole word
    mine has a long grip frame . I believe it is a COPY not made by ASTRA FACTORY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I also have one marked Military Automatic 32 Caliber on the slide.
    serial # on frame and ASTRA the word ASTRA has only the letters "AS" visible with safety on .with safety off you can read the whole word
    mine has a long grip frame . I believe it is a COPY not made by ASTRA FACTORY

Now that you mention it, this one does NOT have a caliber marking on it anywhere.

Must be a copy.