In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Arisaka Model 38 value

MarvMarv Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
I ran across a really nice Tokyo Arsenal, Arisaka Mod. 38 the other day and need advice as to value. No pictures but it has good wood, good metal and a nice bore. The only problem I can see is that the bottom portion of the butt is separating at the seam on one side. The pluses are that the mum is intact; it has the bolt cover ( I've never seen one with both); and the correct bayonet. It is the nicest one I've seen. Blue Book says a 90% gun is worth $300. The few that are on Gun Broker are not as nice as this one and the closest ones range from $350 to over $500. I don't know what they are selling for. He's asking $450 and I may get him to come down some. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Accepting that I think that the Blue Book is lowballing the 90% figure a bit, I've rarely seen an Arisaka in that nice of shape, 90% that is. If that's what you're really looking at with most blue intact but for the usual wear at the muzzle, buttplate, that sort of thing, and its only issue is the joint in the stock is a little wide, I'd say the $450 is fine with mum and dust cover.

If as I suspect, it's a 75% finish and/or blue is turning to plum, has some stock hits, etc., I'd say $300 to $350 is closer.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It should be serialized on the bolt, floor plate and bayonet lug. Matching the receiver. If it is? And in the condition you describe. Definitely collector quality.

$450 would be fair. If you are buying it for your own personal collection. Turning it, on the other hand. Don't know how much more you could get out of it, @ $450?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of them shoot good. I have one uncle Dutch brought back. He said he could clip weeds off with it as far as the eye could see. They had helmet liners full of ammo and would shoot them until they were so hot you couldn't hold the wood. He also said they had better smokeless powder than his M1. $450, well I doubt they are making/finding any more especially in 90% condition.

I loaded up some Norma brass for mine and the rifle shot ok. No mum or dust cover but the # match. I have other rifles I'd rather shoot.

When I was a kid I wanted to buy a really nice pair of 6.5 and 7.7 for $5 each, my dad would let me. But he couldn't get $50 for a new 1911 in a 50 cal. ammo can that was filled with ball ammo.