In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

marlin 42

ubcphilcoubcphilco Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have recently came across a Marlin model 42. It is in pretty bad shape, blue and stock wise. The mechanicals are a little loose, but operating. I have been able to find a parts list for this shotgun, but none are available at gunbroker.com. Any Idea what this shotgun might be worth?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Marlin produced the Model 42/42A from the early 1920's up until around 1934. These were working shotguns with very few frills and and finish that was a cut below the Model 24 which it replaced. To date there is little collector interest execpt for NIB examples. In the condition you describe your shotgun it would probably retail in the $100 range. Marlin made a lot of these shotguns and they are still sitting around...most in the same condition as yours. Quite frankly I would not invest any time, money, or effort in the purchase of parts for this shotgun as you will never get even close to your investment returned.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i tend to agree with the advice youve received. dumping money into it would not be wise. interesting note about this gun, many were raffle guns. and by the wear you see on the one you have, they were popular and used a lot. remembering...that the time frame they were made wasnt u.s.a's best times for working class people. the gun was offered in high grades. now those would be worth having. especially the ones with beavertail forearms and aaa wood.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.