In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 Long or 38 special

sammashgasammashga Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I've just gotten a Colt pistol. It is nickel plated with a 6 in. barrel. It has Colt DA 38 on the side of the barrel. It has 3 patent dates on the top of the barrel. The first is Aug. 5 1884. I believe the second is Nov. 6, 88. The last one is Mar ???. It has wood grips with the Colt emblem on them It has the Colt emblem on the frame right above the grip on the left side. It has 3 diget numbers on the inside of the frame where the cylinder closes and on the cylinder swing out frame. It also has the same number on the cylinder release catch. It also has 2 sets of 3 diget numbers on the bottem of the butt. Is this enough info that anyone could tell me what model pistol I have? Thanks.

Sam Mashburn Jr.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe your revolver is the "New Army and Navy " made between 1892 and 1907. It was made for the .38 Long Colt cartridge not the .38 special.
    It was popular and made in different models and large quantities (291,000) for that time period.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this were chambered in the .38 Special, it would be so marked. This revolver takes the .38 Long Colt cartridge.