In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

POWDER DISPENSERS?

jeshebajesheba Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have anything positive to say about the "automatic",infared,electronic powder dispensers? I tried the new Lyman version and found it to be inaccurate to as much as 8/10th's of a grain!!!The gaget said one thing and my balance beam said another! Obviously it was the digital scale that was the culprit!It's feedback to the dispenser was wrong!I followed the instructions,solid surface,no vibrations,etc. I see that Pact and RCBS offer a version.Has anyone felt comfortable with these models? I discussed this with RCBS when I considered trying their model.They claim that variations in line voltage affects the electronic scales,and possibly this was what I experienced. Maybe my question should be about these digital(electronic) scales???? I think I'll stick with my balance beam for now!

Randy Summers

Comments

• Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Those puppies are a good example of technology gone awry; I have a Pact BBK scale that I used to compare charges to my Lee Safety scale when loading for rifle. Seems the trickler would keep running after it reached the target weight. I'd wind up with between half-a-grain and a grain-and-a-half difference using the IR dispenser. When you're pushing maximum loads with over 75 grains of powder, that can increase the pucker factor a bit.
    Nowadays, I just set my 550B's powder measure to throw a little (less than 0.5 grains) under the desired load, and crank 'em out.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    hunter223hunter223 Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the new Lyman and also noticed that it changes very quickly. I can get about 15 loads maybe a few more and Ill have to reset the zero. But when i get it right it reads the same as my RCBS 5.0.5 scale. You might call Lyman and see if they have been having problems with others. If you do call let me now what you find out.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I remember correctly, Pact made the RCBS for a while at least.
    It seems to properly use it for max loads you set it up to drop the charge short of the full maximum, then manually used the "trickler "
    mode to bring it to full charge. Just a thought, you usually don't use a manual measure to drop the full maximum, either, as you're trusting a mechanical device with something on the edge as it is.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Hey Alle, haven't seen you around. I'm pretty confident in the consistency and repeatability of the Dillon as long as I keep about an inch of powder above the baffle. I've checked it many many times over the 12 years I've had it; and it's always been +/- 0.05 grains on the Pact (which has a least count of 0.1 grain). The Lee safety scale concurs about 1/2 the time, which is why I don't use it much.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!