In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

357 Maximum

drjincdrjinc Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
Came across this in a auction and the guy said they are stamped 357 Max but they don't look like any 357 Max I have seen.

Here is his response:Sorry about the quality of my photos. These cartridges are definitely rimmed.

Using my cheap-o plastic caliper, the rim has a diameter of approx. 10mm and the remainder of the brass shell has a diameter of approx. 9.1mm

The shell has the following headstamp "R-P 357 REM MAX"

pix592263730.jpg
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=205672802

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Recently I took a T/C Contender with a 357 Maximum bbl. on trade can any one tell me anything about this round? I do not have any info about it. The previous owner said it has ballistics close to a 44 mag. is this true? Was $380.00 a good deal for this gun 99 loaded shells and 36 empties, he also said the 36 empties are all this gun was shot. Thanks for any replies
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did any company chamber 357 maximum in a rifle or was it only T/C barrels. THANKS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a couple of good reloads for the 357 Maximum.
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looked for 357 Max. ammo on auction side, just a couple of boxes listed. Found some Grizzly elsewhere. Does anybody else still make it? Thanks.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drjinc,what gun are these loads for ? a single shot pistol,single shot rifle or a revolver.Ruger Blackhawk or a Dan Wesson ?

[:)][:)]

ATF
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They are for a Dan Wesson Super Mag revolver.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK,here's couple of loads from Modern Reloading by Richard Lee .
    #1 125 grain jacketed bullet,Powder H4227 21.6 grs. to 27.0 grs. max VPS 2126.
    #2 158 gr jacketed,Powder Accurate Arms 1680 24.1 grs to 25.3 grs max VPS 1998
    If you need more let me know. I have listings up to 200 gr jacketed.
    [:)][8D][^][:p]

ATF
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suggestion: Stay away from the Light Projectiles - the Standard .357 tends to over penetrate. With the speed of the .357 MAX, I think I would try something fairly soft for expansion, Jacketed for Retention, and heavy for Energy. Might ask "ATF" for the 200 grain loading. [;)]

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To be more specific I am looking for a round for whitetail when I bought the gun it came with 300 rounds of ammo which were reloads only problem is they are all mixed p.I think most of them are 180grn since it is set up with a scope and I beleive it was used for silouets.excuse the spelling.It shots good with the rounds I have but they are all assorted.