In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Acraglas Gel on Mini-14..

WLRamrodWLRamrod Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hey Folks,

Anyone know where I can find, instructions and/or pictures, (Yep , I'm 56 yrs. old with a two day old mind, I usually need pictures),
and illustrations, etc. ,as to where and how to properly bed down my mini-14 with Acraglas Gel? I certainly would appreciate any help in this area, as the only previous bedding I have done is on bolt actions.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from any and all of you!!
WLRamrod

WOW !!! MY FIRST POST AND SO MANY REPLIES ! Looks like I have a lot of thank'ye, thank'ye, and more thank'yeies, to pass out to people like "Acyman", "gunnut505", "Delta514"."Der Gebirgsjager", "reb8600",
"2gun" amd "familyguy", just for starters and also to all the rest who keep wadeing in on this subject. Looks like I'm hooked, you will probably be hearing from me again soon.
Yall, HAVE A GOOOODD'UN !!! AND THANKS AGAIN1[:p]

Comments

• Options
    AcymanAcyman Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking to increase accuracy, there are other issues as well, including either replacing the barrel, or shortening it by 2". There is some trick that the guys do with the gas block, etc. I consider the gun not worth the effort, myself. If you break the handguard, the op rod falls right off the gun. It's THAT shaky a design.

Beware having the gel harden in and around holes or odd shapes. If you want to be able to REMOVE the stock, then the barrel and action have to present a uniform "block" of an object. To assure that, you have to fill in some areas, on some guns, with wood putty, and wrap such areas with tape.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Welcome WL, try the "search" feature up in the right hand corner by your screen name. I'm sure that if you used terms like,"mini-14", " action bedding", and such; you're bound to discover a wealth of information. Be sure to look through all the posts, even if the topic doesn't seem to be anywhere near the subject.
    Good Hunting!

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Mini 14 is so simular to the M-1A the trigger Mechanism looks near identical. Of course the Bolt hasn't the roller Bearing but makes little difference to the feed or eject on the Mini. Most shoot too lite a Round in the Mini, the twist is 1-9 same as many Tactical Bolt Actions and shoots the 62-69-75 grain better than the lighter bullets. There is little to gain bedding the action (unless you are very serious about Accuracy), these little rifles will shoot MOA out of the box with the right ammo. The Mini 14 is the rifle of Preference in South America, and considered a True Military Weapon. Tuff and Dependable. A heavy barrel of Premium Quality will bring it around to the point of Receiver Bedding. "Brownells" would be the answer to that problem. [;)]

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Say, Delta514--you might be interested to know that the very first model of the Mini-14 did indeed have the roller bearing. I've got two of them in my accumulation (note the avoidance of the word "collection")and these were the 180-series serial numbers. Just as a matter of interest.[:D]
  • Options
    reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to www.perfectunion.com they have a board for the mini 14. The guys there can help you. You can find out where to buy a bushing kit, get your trigger redone and buy a video that shows you step by step how to bed the mini. You can also put a muzzle brake on also to help. You will not have to replace the barrel or have it cut down to help the accuracy.

Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks "Gergirbsjager": I hadn't noticed, even tho I have had a few of the 180 series pass through the store. I reckon; none of us have seen it all? We merely try and share our Knowledge and Experience, less Ego and Prejudiced. "Thanks again" Auf Widersehen Mynheer Frijand. [^]

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    2 gun2 gun Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never heard of a mini-14 shooting MOA out the box even with hand loads.I own a post ban Ranch rifle slainless and I can't get 2 1/2 with any bullet. Mine will miss a basket ball two out of five shots at 100yds off a bench with sand bags no wind and perfect conditions.

I think to tight of a twist with to thin a barrel is the first problem.

IT"S better to die by fire then serve by force
  • Options
    familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WLRamrod - have you considered pillar bedding? Mine is, among several other modifactions, and shoots MOA. Makes take down a bit of a pain, but worth it to me.

The other mods being match bull barrel through to the receiver, 3.5 lb trigger, lapped action.

Yeah, it takes a bit to get some accuracy out of the mini.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?