In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

COLT PYTHON DATE

SAM-USMCSAM-USMC Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
GENTLEMEN:

I JUST PURCHASED A COLT PYTHON FROM AN ESTATE. IT HAS A 6" TUBE, BLUE FINISH, AND CAME IN A COLT 2 PIECE BOX NUMBERED TO THE GUN. THERE'S NOT A MARK ON IT EXCEPT FOR A LIGHT LINE AROUND THE CYLINDER. THE SERIAL # IS E47904. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THIS WAS MADE? THANK YOU.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    We have some hard core Colt guys on our boards who can probably pin the production date down to the exact day, but I'd say it was produced in 1973.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam..... I have a Python I bought new in 1972, and the
    ser # is E 81--.

I would have to guess yours was probably made several years later since there were about 39,700 produced between mine and yours.

If I can narrow it down further, I will post again, and welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serial Number E38001 was the first gun manufactured in 1972, and E53501 was the first gun made in 1973. Yours is in the middle there so you can probably come close to figuring the month.

There is a difference in "Manufacture Date" and "Shipping Date." Lots of guns sat in the warehouse for a while before they were actually shipped out to someone. This is where a "Historical Letter" from the Colt Historian becomes of value to you.

Lefty: Your gun was made in 1970...quite early in the year as a matter of fact. See what I mean about how Shipping and Manufacture dates might be very different. Yours was two years old when you bought it "New." Hope this helps!

"Life is FRAGILE!" Handle With Care!
  • Options
    SAM-USMCSAM-USMC Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RANCHEROPAUL,
    THANKS FOR NAILING DOWN THAT DATE FOR ME. THE ACTION ON THIS PYTHON IS "SMOOTH AS SILK", AND IT CAME IN THE TWO PIECE COLT BOX, SO I KNEW IT WAS AN OLDER ONE. THANKS AGAIN.