In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Extended Road Trip... Transport Laws?

Christian B.Christian B. Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I'm going on an extended road trip... and I don't like the idea of leaving home without one of my weapons. I expect I'll be taking my Glock 26, but I'm going to need some help with this one.

What to do about States that don't like the whole pistol thing? I will have to spend a couple of days in NYC and a couple in DC. Is it enough to have it in a lock box, unloaded and the magazines separated from it? What's proper for those States?

christian

christian

Comments

• Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    You can't take any pistol to NYC for any reason except an NRA match and you have to have proof of that. My advice is, don't bother taking it through those states at all.

Christian B.Christian B. Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well... after driving through the Southern States and up to the Mid-West, the last stretch is the Eastern States. I can't exactly go to Florida and drop it off... I need a reasonable solution. Is it possible to lock it up somewhere upon entering the State?

christian
  • Options
    625625 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would be safer to check with law enforcement in each state you're going to go through. The link below is pretty much up to date, but it's YOUR pistol at risk. Most states have a web presence of some type.

http://www.packing.org/states.jsp

"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Some of my pics
    http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/index.html
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rldowns3 is giving you some good advice, christian. If you were to be stopped for any reason in NYC with handguns, I think you'd be in a very nasty situation legally. This is a classic example of how the anti's are succeeding by flank attacks when they know that frontal assaults won't work. The laws regarding transportation and storage have become so complicated and cumbersome that you are forced, in a situation like yours, to either throw up your hands and go without the guns or break the law and risk getting caught. Have you considered a shotgun? I don't know the laws regarding them but they may be more lenient toward a Remington 870 than a Glock 26. Do you plan to do any hunting on the trip?
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    CB: if it was me I wouldn't go to NYC or DC in the first place, but since you are going , you could take the chance of getting caught with it NOT GOOD , maybe find a gunbroker member who lives in the area that would keep your gun for you , maybe find a FFL holder in that area that could hold your Glock ,, good luck be safe [8D]
  • Options
    ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would call the NRA and see if they can help. I bet that others have asked the same thing. Don't know if this is the place to start at, but you can try, Email: nracrdf@nrahq.org
    Phone: 703-267-1250
    Fax: 703-267-3985

It's the NRA Civil Rights Defense, Maybe they can tell you who to call.

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member... N R A
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, BSC, NASDS
    Thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Obviously you can't do what you have proposed without violating the law in several states. You must make the very personal decision of whether or not carrying a gun is important enough to you to risk the possible consequences of getting caught with it.

One thing to consider is that you can never leave your gun in your car (it can be broken into or stolen during the day & the gun will rust if left in the trunk overnight), and you can't leave it in your motel room when you aren't there (unless you have a safe in the room) because anyone can get into most motel rooms.

Neal
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One also has to ask how much use a pistol is stored in a trunk or glove box with unloaded magazines stored somewhere else which would be required in several states.

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    GUNMAN4FUNGUNMAN4FUN Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Christian B., I can speak from experience when I say this. I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. If you had to use the gun it would be bad, But you would probably still be alive. If you don't need it then nobody has to know. I am a Police Officer and have stopped people before that were traveling from out of state that had pistols for self protection. They told me that they had them with them and they were taking a chance by getting a butt hole cop. I completely understood how they felt and sent them on there way. Just remember, a Police Officer must have probable cause to stop you to begin with. Once they have stopped you, they have to have probable cause to search your vehicle or your permission. Unless you plan on transporting some dope then there is no reason for them to search your vehicle. Do Not consent to the search and let them send you on your way. If they search anyway and find the gun, they can't use it against you because it is fruit of the poisonous tree. If they say that they are going to hold you until they can get a drug dog there, they have to be able to articulate why they think you have narcotics in your vehicle to begin with. As far as your motel room, there are many places in a motel room that a handgun can be hidden. You just have to look. I have hidden guns in more motels rooms than I care to mention. Just be careful, cautious and safe.

Good Luck
  • Options
    kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im also an leo.....the only time i go for a search is when i run the vehicle and and ops it shows a complete butt head...but then i will only do it with justifaction...a simple traffic stop wont do it..most of the time they have something in plain view which will allow me to continue anyway...but then again ..thats a butthead for ya...one thing you may run into...if your state has ccw reporting law to le upon a traffic stop....we get the info from the lein and if they dont declare it(mandatory)..(we dont have to ask them)....your in violation of the ccw law...thats how it works in mi......im not sure if your state has your ccw on the lein.. if so... you may run into a problem ..i would advise that you store the gun at a well known reputable ffl shop or dealer.

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • Options
    shootinfoolshootinfool Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the 'Traveler's Guide to the firearm laws of the fifty states' by J. Scott Kappas

New York.

"...travelers wishing to transport thier handgun(s) through the state may do so if the handgun is securely locked in the vehicle trunn or storage compartment, and the traveler's ultimate destination is a state where unlicensed possession is permitted. Any extended stops in New York, however, would render the "through"nature of a trip void and thus subject to the traveler to prosecution for possessing a handgun without a permit."

In other words, you can transport if traveling through non-stop. Other wise get a New York permit.

Visitors to the state that intend on staying a few days or longer must get a New York License to possess.

It has no info for Washington D.C.