In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High capacity magazines

frog2frog2 Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
Is it legal to ship high capacity mags to Sweden?

Thanks Tom

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know if it is illegal to own high capacity magazines in California? I have a 30 round and a 15 round magazine for an M1 Carbine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can they be shipped to New York?

Thanks Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does Massachusetts have a ban against them?

Thanks Tom
  • Options
    GUNMAN4FUNGUNMAN4FUN Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey frog2, I have never heard of any kind of restrictions on shipping high cap mags internationally. I know on restricted mags it says that they are for law enforcement, government export use only.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regulations concerning the export of arms are administered by the US Dept of State. Unless you get written approval from that agency, you risk violation of the Arms Export Control Act of 1976 or the Export Administration Act of 1979. I've never even seen the United States Munitions List, and wouldn't even know where to look for it, but I wouldn't be surprised by anything on it.

Those of us on this forum have enough trouble interpreting regulations with respect to transfer of firearms WITHIN the US; I suspect that you will find that this is one of those areas where you are better off not getting involved.

Neal
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Neal I have the full U.S. Munitions list and it is very frightening! This list covers everything from aircraft carriers all the way down to certian chemical agents. The area that concerns us in this post is a handy catch all known as Catagory I, part (a): "Nonautomatic firearms and semiautomatic firearms to caliber .50 inclusive...and all components and parts for such firearms". Magazines are of course a component and/or a part of a firearm.

Frog, to export anything on the U.S. Munitions list an export license (Form DSP-5) must be obtained from the Office of Defense Trade Controls (except for shippments to Canada). There is no fee for this license but if you make such imports on a regular basis you must be registered with the ODTC at a cost of $250 per year (there are discounts for multiple year liceses). I have a phone number of 703-875-6644, but it is a few years old and might not be correct. I am a fully licensed forearms dealer here in California (over 20 years in the business) and I looked into the export end of the business a few years back and there were so many hoops that I ended up throwing my arms up in frustration. DO NOT call the BATFE with export questions, they have nothing at all to do with exports, and they will simply refer you right back to the ODTC. GOOD LUCK!

Mark T. Christian