In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Getting an FFL?

Thomas2Thomas2 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hi Folks!
I have been a major gun lover ever since my Grandaddy used to take me over to Mr. Carbine William's house and we would shoot the machine guns they used to build. I was hooked from the start. I have been a gun advocate all my life and now have retired. I want to open a gunshop and range out on my father's farm, but of course need to get my FFL first. I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on the best way to get started...who to contact, where to go, what I need to do, and what's the very quickest and best way to get started.
Thanks so much for your help, and thanks for all the advice and fun on this Board.
Sincerely,
Thomas Tew

Thomas2

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Tom,
    Congrats on your decision to go forward. Sit down with your local sheriff or top cop and ensure they have no heartburn about your endevor. Next, contact ATF for the forms to fill out and submit (you don't need any of the "kits" some bozos try to sell you out of shotgun news). Build your secure building (bunker-type, minefields, moat, etc.). You really do need a secure building with smoke and entry alarms just for your own piece of mind. After that, buy stock, drum up business and enjoy.
  • Options
    dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a search on this forum for FFL too. You will find lots of good advice from some very knowledgable folks!

"Practice is the best of all instructors."

Publilius Syrus
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Opening a gunshop & range today is pretty much impossible today unless you are independently wealthy & have < $1,000,000 cash to gamble away. No bank will lend even an experienced dealer money for this type of venture. Expenses are high, profits are low, and competition is brutal.

However, it is practical for you to ease into the firearms business by getting an FFL & selling guns out of your home or at local gun shows. You need to follow the same steps as anyone else starting a new business in your state: You need to get a Federal EIN, state tax number, possibly a traders license, etc. Many state tax offices have a "new business" package. You also need to determine if your local zoning office will permit you to run such a business from your home; if their permission isn't necessary, you need to obtain proof that you don't need their permission. Once all of this is done, THEN you can apply for your FFL.

If this works out well, then eventually you can consider expanding your business to the gunshop & range that you have in mind.

Neal
  • Options
    drjincdrjinc Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The posters above all gave good advice also check at www.atf.treas.gov they have all of the info you will need there.Nmyers I have an FFL and do not have a EIN all I have is a tax license I beleive you only need a EIN if you have employes or a Class III license.
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NEAL is hitting it on then head. But to elaborate: Consider your life, home, auto, and even while on the Commode, You will be licensing yourself to an Enity which has the worst reputaion in "Enforcement", (reputation earned; not falsely attatched). Check and see how many FFL's were active 20 years ago vs Now. (Then try and figure out why). Try 3 years ago vs now!

Then consider: Do not trust anyone entering your Store or Range! "ANYONE". You will be Checked, Taped, Tapped, by ATF as well as those you may have considered Friends. And say you have 100,000 in inventory; You have no idea how bad the "Department of Forfeture" in Washington, DC would love to have that. It's the ATF's job to get it.
    (by hook or crook).

The US Federal Criminal Codes have 1719 pages, of which many contradict the "Firearms Dealer Guide Book". Which doesn't mean squat, if you will pull the "Jurist" or the "US title 18" up on your computer; You will find = The Nylon 66 Remington is a Centerfire Rifle? Anything with "Mitchell Arms" on it is an Assault Weapon! Even tho the Criminal Codes Protecting you state one thing, they can easily be interpreted by a Federal Prosecuter to Condemn you.
    Each Petty Offence can carry 5 years and $250,000 fine. And a bayonet Lug on the wrong gun is worse than Sodomy or Drug Dealing.

An Antique Pistol, (say an H&R Handy Gun).410, in emaculate condition would not be considered a Collectable and will net you about 5 years. (even tho there are .410-45 Long Colts made and sold everyday and with short barrels). If you have said gun in your store: All you have is subject to forfeture (including your vehicles).

RIDICULOUS! You say? Then I guess it would do little good to inform you of "Shipping a Gun that you hadn't ordered" with a FEDERAL WARRANT following 2 minutes later?

And when they do "Come Calling" (which they most certainly will), Protest in no way, make no sudden moves, and keep reminding yourself "They're Just Doing Their Jobs".

Yes! Sir: A Range sounds like a "Dream Come True", but can become a NightMare and very quickly. Your First Admendment, 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 10th, will do little good, because the "Constitution" is no longer "LAW". Kinda awesome to see a Document laying infront of you, stating; "The United States of America vs Thomas", almost humbling - (almost).

Good Luck My Friend, If you make it work; I envy you! [xx(]

Please consider; these are not accusations, but FACTS, what will be brought against you will be Accusations!

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And IF you work your Butt off doing it......You will become RICH beyond your wildest dreams....All Gun Dealers are RICH!!!! Hahahaha!
    Good Luck! It's not as bad as these guys said....It's WORSE! But, like anything else, you have "pardners" such as the Phone Co., the Light Company, the ?? and the ???, but "You can be the "BOSS!" You just get more "Pardners" in the Gun business and they are bigger Jerks in some cases! My Advice: "Do It ANYWAY!!!!!" Some Dealers even like it!

"Life is FRAGILE!" Handle With Care!
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RANCHERO PAUL: We left out one thing! You will have more "Good Buddys" than ever before. (but don't lose your Guns, or you will become 1 lonesome SOB!)

Ronnie G. Perkins