In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger No. 1 Accuracy

LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just shot my new Ruger No. 1 (.308 win). I am getting about 6 in. groups at 100 yds. Shots are stringing high and low. Left and right variation is not that bad, maybe 1.5 - 2 inches.

I have heard that the forearm tension is important and that there are various cures. An earlier thread mentioned a part available from Brownells and installation of a barrel contact screw.

Can anyone tell me Brownells part no. or name? Or any other advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownells Catalog #55, page 12, HICKS DESIGNS RUGER #1 ACCURIZER, item number #419-100-001, retail $59.95. Before trying this, check the scope mounts; they have a tendancy to loosen where they attach to the rifle. I like to use a quarter as a screw driver and apply all the pressure I can by hand. Another thing to try is to check the tightness of the screw that attaches the forearm to the rifle. Tighten it snugly but do not overtighten.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Here's some silly questions about your shooting technique;
    Do you rest the barrel or the forearm on the bag?
    Do you hold your breath, or do you release your breath slowly right before you pull the trigger?
    Do you use a rear bag for the buttstock?
    Are the ones you fired reloads or factory?
    Do you completely remove the gun from the rest when you reload and set it back down, or do you roll it to the side?
    Do you grip the outside of the cocking piece, or right behind it?
    Can you slide a $1 bill between the barrel and forearm easily?

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to see for sure: Use a Bi-Pod (the barrel pressure is consistent with a Bi-pod), Use a Hornady 168 MolyCoated Precision Factory Round. Fire three shots before paying much attention to groups. If the Groups get to less than 1" at 100yds. Then consider taking it to a Gunsmith to lighten the trigger. If it won't get to 1" or Less, trade it on a Browning 1885, send it too Ruger with a Note of Challange (say you are shooting against a converted Carcano)and are now too embarassed to leave the house, or Pass it off on your Brother-in-Law.
    [:0] "Shoot more, Shoot more Often"

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never met a #1 yet that didn't like a little forearm tip pressure. Placing a business card shim at the forearm tip usually does the trick.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for info. I will do some experimenting.
  • Options
    rugerno_1rugerno_1 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have been given some good advice, some other thoughts might be to replace the trigger with a Moyer's trigger, they are fully adjustable like the old No. #1's. Since you stated this is a new gun, if it is stainless steel model I would recomend you to shoot at least 50 rounds through it or hand lap the barrell before you even begin to worry about groups, and sometimes it takes 75 rounds. Don't give up easy on the No. #1, I have 2 safes full of them and they all will shoot 1 inch groups and most 1 hole groups at 100 yards, they just take a little playing with. Good luck.
  • Options
    ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    b4 offering any advice, the advice u recieved so far was superb. you indicated that the weapon was "new"?. i personally would send it back and request another one. the ruger #1 has an excellent reputation for accuracy(when you replace the trigger). if it was a used weapon that u purchased, then we could go down the list of possible solutions. otherwise, send it back and save yourself the the time and effort as you may never be totally satisfied with that rifle. ...just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Get the part from Brownells, It works. But if you are to cheap then buy lot's of Powder and bullets and have at it, it will never shoot good. dont know why Ruger never cared and changed it.