In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Muzzleloaders?????

hunter223hunter223 Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have rifles and pistols and reload for all of them, but i have no idea about muzzleloading. I thought i might enjoy it as much as the rest. I would like to know some of the things about the muzzleloaders:like how to load, what loads are good, powder, etc. Thanks for your help.[:)]

Comments

• Options
    PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunter;
    Front stuffers are a blast, no pun intended, to shoot. They are decidedly higher maintenance, however. The load depends on the gun, it's caliber or guage, action type, etc. I would recommend you pick up some of the books on the subject. There are many variables to muzzle loaders. Powder granulation sizes vary for different guns and action types. For example, a 54 caliber musket would use FFG powder for the main charge and FFFG powder in the flash pan. Revolvers generally use FFFG powder. I don't mean to make it sound complicated, there is some consideration envolved with these guns. A rule of thumb is the larger the bore the coarser the powder the smaller the finer the powder. With a little reading to get acquanted with them, you will enjoy them as much as any of you're guns. Just be certain to clean them well after each shooting session. Hope this helps.

Kill all the lawyers and the world will be much better for it.
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the most important things to know is NEVER leave an air space between powder and ball whatever type of black powder firearm you shoot. Always push ball tightly onto the powder, slightly compressing it. Do a search, talk to someone knowledgeable, visit a shooting range that has a muzzleloading club, etc. Emery

"Well done is better than well said"
    Ben Franklin
  • Options
    scoutfowlerscoutfowler Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a CVA Hawken that I finished from a kit which was great fun. Came with a .50 and a .54 caliber barrels. Never could get either to be accurate beyond 5 yards. Changed bullets, charges, lubrications, etc and finally sold the gun. Thompson Center Hawken .54 that a friend has will drive golf balls at 100 yds and the old .45 Hopkins Allen underhammer carbine my father left me has taken squirrels at 75yds. I would trust it on deer out to 150. Nothing else like a smoke pole and I haven't hunter deer with any other long gun in years!

Colin B. Fowler
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most any new muzzleloader you'd buy today will have an owners manual with recommended, minimium and maximum loads. Some prefer sidelock in either flint or percussion, while others prefer inlines. If you intend to use it for hunting, I'd check with local laws pertaining to them for use during big game seasons. Most states now allow inlines and they are easier to clean, safer to shoot...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Go with a FLINT LOCK,nothing like it! Its primative,works well once ya get the hang of it.I love it!nothing like the flash in the pan,the smoke,tryin to see what ya shot at,the smells,YA! Seiously it can be great sport...I happen to go the primative route with em,but don't look down my nose at caplocks or inlines.....too much...[:D][:D]
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever - Make it stainless! and shoot the powerbelt bullets in the Inlines. LONGHUNTER? U said "Flintlock", but that an't on the extreme end of the pole - Wheellock if you want to be a "Sportsman"! [;)]

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    [:D][;)]I do like a "few"modern convienences![^]