In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hi Point Handguns?

cgfortunecgfortune Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I haven't purchased a Handgun before and was wondering if anyone could tell me any info on Hi-Point Firemans Semi-automatic weapons? As per are they a quality pistol? Dependable? I know they seem to be very in-expensive and I know you usually get what you pay for but I figured it would be worth asking here http://www.mkssupply.com/

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Comments

• Options
    lightingboltlightingbolt Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just purchased 380 hi point and it works really good. I have a friend that has the same gun. He shoots the gun alot and it shoots really well. The gun never jams on him. he dosn't take his time shooting it.It might be a cheap gun but it shoots with no problem.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Good plinker, they tend to be ugly and reliable. I would opt for a higher quality piece if you are looking for a self defense gun though.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for a bargain price firearm you'd probably be better served by an EAA/Witness or a Taurus/PT series of semi-automatic pistol. You might also check out mabye a Makarov or a CZ pistol.

Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the cheaper line of Guns: I liked the Davis Line, the o/u Derringer, the BOA Semi-Auto pistol. I carried no Lorcins, Hi-Points, RG's, Titans, Ravens, in my Shop, there were a few Jennings which were worthy. Being Mechanicly inclined and having a good understanding of Design, Metal, and Fit, I did not like Selling a Gun that was not dependable, yet some people could not afford an expensive gun (they deserve Protection also). Check out the "Davis Guns".

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I had too many failure to feed/failure to fire bring backs to warrant continued sales. I no longer sell any zinc striker fired pistols. Do yourself a favor and avoid these. If they are all you can afford, you don't have anything to protect. If this sound snobish, sorry, just speaking the truth.

While on the subject of cheap shooting, for sure don't buy any Blazer ammo for anything other than target practice. Was shooting at fleeing burglars a year back and had loaded a few of these rounds in a PPk. It jammed and only had time to clear and put a couple of holes in their car!

<P>
  • Options
    cgfortunecgfortune Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually,
    The way I looked at this I am picking up the .380 and a couple of hundred rounds of ammo and going to take it out to the range and see what I run into with it? I talked to a couple of dealers here locally and one said that he hasn't ever had one come back in or had any complaints. As I get a customed to this one I will probably get some different handguns and really for the cost I could just put it on my office desk as a paper weight if it isn't a good pistol.

Thanks very much for the info on it and the other suggestions. Thinking about buying one of the Makarov's that you listed