In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Uh oh, HK91/SW3 charging handle removal!

GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
Someone call the Hall of Justice, Green Lantern needs help!

Ok, I was cleaning my rifle and the upper tube in the receiver where the charging/cocking handle is was getting kind of dirty. So I tried to take the handle out as there is a hole at the back of the tube and a pin in the handle.

Now, the pin is half way out and won't come out or go back in. I'm hesistant to use any force to get the pin out as I've never disassembed this part of the gun. Any insights or recommendations would be helpful. Thanks

GL

"Father, yes son, I want to kill you" - Jim Morrison

Comments

• Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I drove mine out from top to bottom with a hammer and punch after taking off the hand grip. Then reassembled in the reverse. Best, Robert[;)]

"Endurance"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm, still doesn't want to give. Feels pretty solid when I tap on the punch with the hammer.

• Options
    timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duncan Long wrote a book called assault pistols,rifles and submachine guns ,i have it and in the book there is very detailed info on disassembly and reassembly of the hk-91.however i am very unfamiliar with this gun and do not know the pin your talking about and i would hate to guess. if you can find this book im sure it would solve your problem and i do know duncan long has a web site i believe is just duncanlong.com
  • Options
    timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    from my understanding of the instruction the locking pin should rotate 90 degrees for removal of the firing pin ,firing-pin spring and locking piece this makes no sence to me as i can not see the gun but if possible try turning the pin a half turn to the left and pushing it in.or turn it to the right and pull it the rest of the way out.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GL - I know of which you speak ... I'd rather be forced to put together a hammer pack blind folded than mess with the charge handle ... The problem is the hole in the charging handle tube is off-set and the hole in the charge handle support is not ... actually its very easy to do ... when all is right in the world, and you can lick your own ear ... [}:)]

Probably the problem is everything isn't lined up, in which case the handle spring isn't seated properly in the handle ... most likely your going to have to take it all apart, and get everything lined up again ... then the pin will slide in effortlessly ... all except the last 1/4" or so ... this is where the hammer and punch come in handy. The first time I put one together I had it whipped in 7-8 tries and only lost 1 charge handle spring, it just takes a certin knack which I don't know how to describe ...

Hopefully Mark will be of more assistance ...

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the hand guard off, you will see where the pin slides through the cocking leaver and the two opening oposite each othe on the cocking tube. On one end the pin is domed and on the other there[:)] are groves. I have the domed end down. Make sure you are driving the pin through the holes in the cocking tube and when installing that the pin clears the inside of the cocking tube. May be a solid surface when driving the pin out would help. Best, Robert

"Endurance"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by timinpa
    from my understanding of the instruction the locking pin should rotate 90 degrees for removal of the firing pin ,firing-pin spring and locking piece this makes no sence to me as i can not see the gun but if possible try turning the pin a half turn to the left and pushing it in.or turn it to the right and pull it the rest of the way out.

Distinctly sounds like the directions for taking the bolt assembly apart. Not difficult, but there is a spring loaded 'lever' that comes into play. I had to put the bolt assembly in a vise so I could press down on that lever. It's a pretty stout spring in there.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I never did really get the thing apart. But I was able to get the pin pushed back in without ruining anything. I think I'll call it good and clean it with q-tips when it really needs it. Thanks all for the input.

GL