In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Aftermarket Mags?

jjce11jjce11 Member Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
Are todays aftermarket mags still that bad? Everyone always tells me to buy factory, but for my para p13 they're up at about $50 per. Seeing as i'm in Ca, and I cant get hi-caps all I need is functional mags. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    cliffdropover1cliffdropover1 Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mec-Gar are reportedly good. USA mags are not so good. Can you get factory mags that are 10 rounds or less? That would be the best route to take.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    CDNN at 800-588-9599 lists the MEC-GAR made Para-Ordnance P13 and P14 .45ACP magazines for $14.99 each. These are 10 round magazines so shipping to California is not a problem.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    Bushnell BoyBushnell Boy Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out www.fourfourmag.com. They garentee there products for life and the one you need is 30 bucks

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

-Beck (1993)
  • Options
    llibllib Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Meg Gar mags in my Colt .45s for years. Never a FTF, or any other problem. They make the factory mags for a number guns.

wcreel@ccms.net
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bell Helmets once had an ad back in the seventies that read:

If you have a $10 Head than Buy a $10 Helmet.

After market is only good for the range. I flushed a lot of money to learn this lesson. This is First-Hand Knowledge.

The tolerances aren't good enough for round nose bullets to be fed up the mag without jamming. Dum-dums and hollow points should work OK, but just OK.

Trust your Life to Factory Magazines Only. And check those for reliability also.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, but....none of the major pistol makers actually fabricate their own mags
    they buy them from companies whose primary product is mags.

And, most of the OEM mags shipped with their guns by the major makers come from Mec-Gar.

Neal
  • Options
    jjce11jjce11 Member Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks all, most seem to think that mecgar are made well enough. I will purchase a couple and see how they hold up. Thanks for the replies all.
  • Options
    erictheredericthered Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    STAY AWAY FROM PROMAG.
    I bought one for my Kahr and it would not fit or work. I sent it to the factory. They sent a new one that also did not work. I sent it back again and they sent a third that still does not work right.
    Sorry, but I've had enough. No more promag for me.
    Eric

thats'me
  • Options
    wm69wm69 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you look at later (after mid 70's) colt mags, they are stamped with a M on the bottom. I have been told by seveal colt "experts" that these were made by Metalform for Colt. Aftermarkets are fine if you want to look around and find good ones. I've got a bunch, but if I'm in the bad stuff, I'll have a factory mag. Even if they are made by someone else, the gun manufacturer won't let the mag maker put their name brand on it if it's junk