In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

polish m44

marek13marek13 Member Posts: 209 ✭✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hi fellow shooters. I have a question about the mosin nagat or its carbine version m44. I got a polish 1954 m44 and I want to install the scope on it what?s the god way to install a scope. I had seen a mount that replace the sight and use pistol scopes is that any good. And the last question how accurate is the m44. I am no sniper but like to stay on my target at least 50 yards.
Thanks Mark

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, assuming your Mosin is in good shape, which most of the Polish models seem to be, you shouldn't have any trouble at 50 yards even without a scope! (Just kidding!) Anyway, the problem with mounting a scope on the Mosin is the split receiver bridge made necessary for passage of the straight-out bolt handle when you cycle the action. There are only three options that I'm aware of, and you've mentioned one. This is called the "scout method" of scope mounting which requires replacing the rear military sight leaf with a special mount
    and a long eye relief scope. It can be a sturdy pistol scope, but there are some scopes being made for, or adaptable to, this purpose that will probably withstand the recoil better. There's a lot to be said for this method, but it take a little practice to pick up the sight picture. The next way is the way the Russians did it, which is a side mount attached the left side of the receiver. This will involve obtaining a mount and drilling and tapping the side of the receiver. On the scout method you can always go back to original; but on the side mount, if you remove it, you'll have the holes. It might be hard to obtain a piece of original Russian or Warsaw Pact equipment, but other side mounts are adaptable. The third option is a kit produced by Advanced Technologies which involves cutting the bolt handle off at the point where it changes from square to round, and replacing it with a new bolt handle which is secured by a machine bolt in a hole which must be drilled and tapped in the bolt body. A cantilever-type scope mount that is secured to the receiver ring (necessary to drill and tap two more holes) and extends rearward over the bolt. When cycled, the new bolt handle only rises to 9 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock and clears the new scope mount. The mount itself is compatable with Weaver-type rings.