In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 34-1

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
I got to play with a 4in. barreled square-butt M34-1 and was impressed with the little gun. It looked - and shot - like a shrunken M15.

Serial on it was M1138XX, any idea of DOM? Any info on what changes were made on the -1 sub-model. What years were the 34's introduced/discontinued?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made in 1978. On the 34-1's they began using the "J" frame, prior to that it was the "I" frame. The cylinder was about 1/10th" longer on the "J" frame.

They were made from 1953 to 1991. Some other things done on the 34-1's was a new style cylinder release, deletion of the diamond grip and elimination of the pinned barrel.

Your right, they are sweet little guns. I have 2 steel frame 34's and a 43 which is the airweight version.

[img][/img]50cal-smiths-randall-M60010.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Outstanding, Lefty.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The 34-1 was made in 1978. They came out in 1953 and were made until 1991. The -1 had five changes through 1982.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The one I got my hands on had a pinned barrel and recessed chambers. Were these features ever discontinued on the 34? Was the firing pin always frame mounted on this model?

I'm familiar with full disassembly of the older K-frames, but what's the drill on removal/disassembly of this type of firing pin assembly?

Anyone ever use Wolff springs in one of these?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The pinned barrel was discontinued with the 34-1 in 1982. All of Smiths rimfire revolvers have had recessed cylinders, they still do.

All the rimfire Smith revolvers also have the frame mounted firing pins, not just the 34. They are removed via the pin in the frame just under the rear sight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the pin directional?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Txs..... Iam not sure if its directional, but if it is, in & out the right side would be my guess.