In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

stock crack repairs

JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Winchester Model 100 15xxx serial number that has some separation cracks running along the stock. They are surface, not deep and I wonder what the best way to close them or repair them. They are like dry wook cracks, not stuctural cracks deep in the wood. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would use bedding compound for it. mix it to the same color, but will be seen. So. you may want to refinish the whole stock after you fill in the cracks.

spec.4
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it to a GunSmith.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use thinned clear epoxy glue. Devcon 2000 thinned with drug store 90% rubbing alcohol both at Walmart. Mix a little glue and add a few drops of alcohol and mix it in. You want enuf alcohol in it to make it flow like varnish. Do one crack at a time. Put in the crack with a Q tip till the crack fills up. Then wipe the surface clean of the stuff. It takes about four hours to set up hard. You probably will need to do it more than once to get level fill.

Do one crack and see how it works for you, before doing the entire stock. You can get better detail control by dipping a pencil into your glue mix and let it flow into your crack but it takes longer - maybe best on second application.

As with anything you never did before, good idea to try it on something else to get a little experience before attacking your major job.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The only thing I'll add is to heat the wood with a heat gun before applying the epoxy.
    I use accuglas not the gel and warm it in the microwave before applying it to the warm stock.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    You can also lightly sand a hidden area to produce some wood dust, then mix it with tung oil to produce a paste; fill in the affected areas, lightly wipe off the extra residue. The sanding dust will make your filler the correct color.