In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Brush gun-cont'd

fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
I found a place like that this year, I'd jump Deer and could not get on them quick enough with my scoped win. model 70. I thought about it and decided to take the scope off of my Rem. 7400 .270 (I hardly ever use it) That has been pretty handy for quick shots in the thick stuff and a lot eaiser to carry with no scope on it for some reason?!. My other choice (that was also mentioned by another poster ) is my Ruger .44 carbine.

Neither one of them shoot through trees and brush but a lot eaisier for quick target acquisition.

I am off to the Deer Woods!!![;)]
Cheers, Fish

Comments

• Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir,

For a gun that is effective for jump-shooting in dense cover, it would be hard to beat a shotgun with buck-shot.

My choice would be Browning's auto-5 with a 20" bbl & 3-0 buck.

Please keep in mind as the cover increases your visibility decreases and thusly makes it harder to "know your target & what is beyond"

Whatever your choice, SAFETY FIRST!

Jim
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    before using buckshot make sure to check your state game reg's , as it might be illegal to use for hunting
  • Options
    fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not add a venerable smooth bore with buck shot because the original poster wanted something that would be effective from 30 yds. to 150 yds[;)].
    Lets hear some more brush gun thoughts[:D]
  • Options
    tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any time I am walking and jump shooting deer, like we do when hunting the WV mountains, I take my old Marlin 35 Rem. While true that we shoot a nice heavy 200 grain through this and that helps for small brush, it is the over under mounts that make it such a nice jump shooter. The mounts allow for quick acquisition on those short jump shots, but if the deer breaks toward open woods you can wait with the crosshairs on him because at least around here, they all stop to look back and see what just bumped them from their bed.
    We had a little trouble at first with some cheaper over under mounts because they do tend to be easier to bump off (maybe that was me being a young teenager thought too) so if you go with them, spend the extra dough to buy a nice set. I am partial to the weaver 1" see throughs myself.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    A semi auto 12 or 20ga shotgun with a short rifled barrel and good sights.

Remington 742 woodsmaster carbine 30/06 heavy bullets and good sights.

A short 45-70govt. levergun.

A S&W .460 loaded HOT with a holographic sight and lots of practice.