In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pre Ban M1A???

ap3572001ap3572001 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
I see several M1a's advertised as a PRE BAN. What does that mean? They sell for more money. I have M1a's for the 80's. 100% USGI parts build by Springfield Armory. ( Green box). Whats so special about them , other then GI parts? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=116818029

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    late 94 they cut the bayo lugs off that is all they did..if i remember right the serial number cut off around 80,000 for preban
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    USGI parts are special because they are the original, milspec, forged parts originally made for the US military's M14 rifle. They are the highest quality parts. When they started to dry up, Springfield Armory Inc began contracting for cast commercial parts, which do not hold up as well as USGI parts. (Their barrels aren't cast, but I'd still rather have a USGI barrel, especially if it's an SAK NM.)

For several years, a lot of folks didn't realize that the older rifles were gems, & you could get one for a good price. No longer. Most folks now realize the difference, & the rifle you linked to may be a good example. (But, he didn't give the barrel markings, so I'm not so fast to say that it is "all USGI".)

Neal

M1Ab.jpg?t=1228004080