In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm so pissed off I don't know what to do......

winch_warriorwinch_warrior Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Allright, I went and bought another Sendero a few days ago. Brand new at the store the salesman opens the box and yes I look at the gun real quick since this is my third Sendero. I get home ,take it out of the box, open the bolt and there is rust on the bolt face......Why would Remington ship a gun with the bolt inside the gun and not leave it out like all my other Remington's have been shipped over the years? Obviously, must have got some moisture inside sometime during shipment and now I have rust. Never had this problem before...Most stores will not return a firearm once it leaves thier store. What should I do?

Comments

• Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact Remington.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Remington finishes producing a gun, packaging is at the end of the production line & they never look inside the box again. I've never been there, but I'm willing to bet that Remington's warehouse is temperature & humidity controlled. However, you have no way of knowing where the gun was stored at the distributor or your dealer, or during shipment between them. In some parts of the country, a gun WILL rust overnight under the right conditions.

It may not be as terrible as it seems. I suspect that the bolt face just has a light coat of surface rust. If it were my gun, I'd take the bolt out & rub the bolt face with #0000 steel wool; most likely that will take care of the problem. If you don't want to do this, take it back to the store; regardless of their written policy, most stores will take it back under these circumstances. (Many states have a requirement of "merchantability" that trumps any written warranty or disclaimer.)

Neal
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dude that sucks, I say take a deep breath first and try to imagine all that anger and stress as a dark cloud flowing from your body and floating away. Try to clear your mind of any emotion and focus only on breathing deep and slow, in thru the nose and out thru the mouth. Imagine yourself walking down a set of stairs counting down from 20. 20, 19, 18,.... When you get to one imagine yourself standing at the foot of the stairs in a large vacant room, you can yell and only hear echos of yourself. Now tell yourself three times, "I'm very good at handling problems." repeat slowly and thinking to yourself that it is true, do not self doubt. Now turn around and head back up the stair counting from 1 to 20. 1,2,3,... As you hit 20 you will open you eyes being completely self awake, take a deep breath and you will feel a smile from inside :)

Then go call Remington...
  • Options
    DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    When Remington finishes producing a gun, packaging is at the end of the production line & they never look inside the box again. I've never been there, but I'm willing to bet that Remington's warehouse is temperature & humidity controlled. However, you have no way of knowing where the gun was stored at the distributor or your dealer, or during shipment between them. In some parts of the country, a gun WILL rust overnight under the right conditions.

It may not be as terrible as it seems. I suspect that the bolt face just has a light coat of surface rust. If it were my gun, I'd take the bolt out & rub the bolt face with #0000 steel wool; most likely that will take care of the problem. If you don't want to do this, take it back to the store; regardless of their written policy, most stores will take it back under these circumstances. (Many states have a requirement of "merchantability" that trumps any written warranty or disclaimer.)

Neal

I agree with that one. My friend handed me an old rusty revolver some years ago and wanted me to clean it up. I'm talking very rusty, could not read any markings on it. There were spider webs inside the gun even. I read on here to get some of that steel wool and oil and scrub it off, and it came off perfectly. And the gun is still silky smooth. Get some at Brownells and it ought to work for you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Also found rust down inside the reciever where the barrel is threaded into. I don't have a bore scope, but I'm wondering if there is rust down inside the barrel also? Light rust around recoil lug and around scallop cuts under trigger area. I could spit nails right now. This is a brand new rifle.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Notify Remington Customer Service immediately by certified mail with a copy to the dealer.
    Ask them about a prepaid exchange for a replacement.
  • Options
    big truckerbig trucker Member Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call Remington. I bought a new 700/.25-06 a few years back we could not sight the scope in. Took to a gunsmith to get it bore sighted. the columnator wouldnt go in the muzzle. It was egg shaped. Reminton replaced the rifle and 2 boxes of ammo.
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not that it helps with your diappointment, but maybe some Evapo-Rust would help?

http://www.evapo-rust.com/

I never heard of the stuff before, but saw it on a "Best Inventions" show the other night (not an infomercial). Sure seemed impressive.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact the store you bought it from, tell them that it has to be a returned used item and not new at all. If they have any honor they will sell the used gun to you for 2/3 the new price, if you want it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys- I will call Remington first thing Monday.