In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester37

hicksadvanhicksadvan Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a winchester 37 16 gauge , I can't locate the serial number on the shot gun. Do you have any information where it is located, any information will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester did not serialize the Model 37. There was no requirement to stamp serial numbers on any firearms until the GCA (Gun Control Act) of 1968. Winchester (and most other manufacturers) did not typically serialize their lesser expensive models (which helped keep the production costs lower).
  • Options
    VinegarJimVinegarJim Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 37 is the nicest of the single shot shotguns. American craftsmanship at its best. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for that information it was much appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was wondering if you have any info. on when the gun was manufacterd,my dad left it to me when he passed I know he has had it more than 46yrs. I would like to find as much info. as I can on it for my children. Is there a way to log it somewhere in case it gets stolen since there is no serial number to log down. Thank You
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hicksadvan
    I was wondering if you have any info. on when the gun was manufacterd,my dad left it to me when he passed I know he has had it more than 46yrs. I would like to find as much info. as I can on it for my children. Is there a way to log it somewhere in case it gets stolen since there is no serial number to log down. Thank You

Hello Dan,

Depending on when it was made, it might have a 2-digit date code stamped on the bottom of the barrel (you will need to remove the forend stock to check it). Other than that, there is no definable way to identify it other than to take several clear pictures of it for your records. If it has any evident wear marks, scratches, mars, etc., be sure to get a clear pictures of those as well (to aid in identifying it at a later date).